chapter thirty-nine

chapter thirty-nine | the oblivious

CASSIE HAD HER fingers wrapped around the fence outside their cell block. Right where she saw her sister last. Her eyebrows were furrowed as her heart raced in her chest. Beth had her arm resting around the small girl's shoulders with Hershel behind them as Rick tore the field gate open with Glenn and Daryl.

Rick shot the walkers that gathered around the courtyard before approaching the three of his group and the two other men used their melee weapons to take out the rest of the escaped, checking on the fence that T-Dog closed just moments before.

"What the hell happened?" Rick worried loudly.

"The gate was open!" Beth answered him.

"Where's Lori, Carl... everyone else?"

"Maggie led Lori and Carl into C Block," Hershel pointed.

"T was bit and went inside with Laurel and Carol," Cassie looked down at their leader as she spoke. He noticed her fearful eyes and nodded, "stay put!" he ordered. Rick turned around to talk to Daryl and Glenn, coming up with a plan.

Cassie didn't want to listen to his order, she wanted to go inside with them and find her sister. The only family she has left. But, she needed to have faith that Rick, Daryl, and Glenn could find her. Or Laurel could find her way back to them.

Suddenly, alarms went off, from inside and outside the prison. It was loud, Cassie screeched in fright and she threw her palms over her ears, wincing in pain. Beth's arm disappeared from her shoulders and she copied Cassie's actions, covering her own ears.

Rick shot the alarms that were outside around them, asking them to back up right before he shot the one above their heads. Rick began to panic, pointing his gun at the prisoners that just walked up from the field.

She couldn't hear their conversation, even with the outside alarms shot out, it was still very loud as the ones inside the prison echoed. Walkers began to line up, gathering around the prison, trying to squeeze their hands through the small diamonds of the fence.

Cassie began to get teary-eyed and her stomach twisted in fear. Reality set in. Her sister was in trouble. She could feel it, the gut feeling Laurel always talked about. She knew her sister was in trouble.

Daryl led Rick and Glenn deeper into the tunnels as they followed the dead bodies deeper into the prison, trying to track down their missing members. Their flashlights swung around, looking into each hallway, looking for any other sign beside the dead walkers on the floors where the others in their group could be.

As they were about round a corner, they heard the walkers moaning, already knowing what other sounds they were making as they heard some squelching and snarling. They pointed their weapons, aiming at their heads before the walkers could even realize they were there.