chapter eighteen

chapter eighteen | the future gunslinger

LAUREL RECEIVED THE silent treatment from Cassie after she explained why she had stitches and why she left without saying a word to her family to where she was going. She concluded it wasn't a good answer after the look Cassie gave her.

Even though Cassie was mad at her, rightfully so, she helped Laurel tend her wounds and clean herself of all the dried blood and dirt. Lori let them borrow a bucket and a few towels before she went to go finish up making dinner at Hershel's with Carol, and Hershel's family.

Laurel had her hair up in a bun with a bandage around her head as she walked to Daryl's room with two plates of food in her arms. Laurel knew it was going to be awkward at the dinner table and there were way too many people there already. She rather be stuck in a room with grumpy Daryl than grumpy Hershel.

Laurel didn't bother knocking, she couldn't anyways with her arms full, and she skillfully balanced the food and opened the door, pushing it open with her foot.

Daryl flinched, quickly covering himself with a sheet before the brunette saw his bare chest. Daryl was thankful she was too busy trying to balance two plates and two glasses of juice before she saw his body. Knowing her nosy ass she would ask questions, he thought.

"What are you doing?" He asked, sitting up with his back against the headboard of the bed and the sheet pulled to his chin.

She smirked, pleased with herself as she walked to his side of the bed, placed down his plate and glass on his bedside table before walking to the other side, doing the same with hers, and sighed when she was finally able to sit down in the bed and rest. She was exhausted and hungry.

"Bon appetit," she exclaimed, fixing her pillow and placing the plate of food in her lap. "I was not about to eat at the table with everyone out there, way too awkward, too much tension."

Daryl watched through the corner of his eye as she shoved her mouth with ham and potatoes. At the same time. She paid no attention to him and continued to enjoy her food. He tried not to be astonished by the way she ate and tried to eat his own food.

The pair sat comfortably next to each other, their shoulders brushing against the others every time one of them brought their spoon to their mouths.

Laurel wore a hoodie and leggings, thanks to Maggie who gave her old clothes since Laurel didn't have much. Laurel kicked her boots off her feet and they fell on the wooden floor with a clunk.

Daryl didn't mind that she was getting comfortable. He couldn't explain it, but having her here, sitting with him, didn't make him feel awkward. It made him feel calm.

The next morning, Cassie has been stressed. The moment the world around her is quiet, her mind has been screaming at her.