Intimidation

"I thank you for this gift, Illyrio."

Aerion gently put down the dark dragon egg, returning it to the glimmering chest before standing on his feet and closing the chest. Illyrio's body seemed to tense as the Soul Knights stared down on him with frightening smiles. It made him wonder if he could simply take everything by force and walk away... perhaps leaving behind some trails of blood in the process.

Could he...?

Illyrio looked at Aerion's charming face, attempting to discern any type of emotion. His search came to no avail as a drop of sweat began to fall from his forehead. He started to think of all the times that his Emperor had wet his blade and wondered if he'd be next in line.

"I..."

The two bulky men whom Illyrio had under him wanted no part of the Soul Knights nor the Emperor's wrath, remaining still as Aerion closed the gap with a few noble steps.

Would he...?

Now, it was certainly a possibility. Aerion had his sharp longsword beside him... not to mention the destructive magic that could shatter the life of an army, nevermind a single man.

Aerion firmly grabbed his shoulder...

And laughed.

"Illyrio, you look like you've seen a starving dragon! Come now, cheer up... you can't serve me as magister in this depressing state."

"I... ah...ahahaha..." Illyrio let out a nervous laugh after all the growing tension started to dissipate.

Aerion smiled before making his judgement.

"I will decide on the re-"

"No, no, there's no need for a reward!" Illyrio insisted.

"As I said, these are gifts for your grand sixteenth nameday. It would be shameful if I asked for a reward from mere gifts... no, such an act is simply unacceptable! That is what I, Illyrio Mopatis, believe. Instead, all I ask of is your favour, my Emperor."

Your favour is worth more than any dragon egg...

Illyrio thought as he bent the knee and remained still until Aerion turned around.

"Very well... you will have it. I will think more highly of you from this day forward, Illyrio Mopatis. As more opportunities will arise in the near future, you will surely find yourself in a greater position one day. If you continue to prove yourself, that is."

"Thank you, my Emperor. I will remain diligent and complete my duties as best as I can. I swear it on all the gods..."

As if you believe in any of them... it would be better if you swore it on your cheese.

Aerion thought.

"Now you may rise."

One Soul Knight grabbed the chest and carried it singlehandedly while Aerion began his walk out of the manse. All of the six Soul Knights left, except for two. Ser Robb looked upon Illyrio with an emotionless face

"You did well to appease our Lord, fat man. However... if you threaten him or the stability of his glorious Empire in any way, I will cut through you with this very sword. The gift that you so kindly provided only means that you may keep your position and nothing more. You would do well to remember that."

Ser Robb turned around and walked out of the room. The archer scratched his hair and chuckled.

"He said the truth, though my fire arrow might get you first... hahaha." The archer stated before fastening his pace to catch up with Ser Robb. However, he turned to face Illyrio one last time to leave one last statement.