Targaryen Madness

Aerion cast aside some magic vitality to heal Artos' wounds and moved on.

"Wow..." Artos felt a feeling of bliss as his wounds faded. As soon as his attention turned back to Aerion, he was no longer there. "Where did he go?"

"Away from you, clearly."

"Hmph." Artos turned to Jocelyn, remembering their conflict from earlier. "Why would you go out of your way to protect the person who imprisoned you?"

"Well, that's because... I was not a prisoner. I gained greater freedom than I ever had here. I learned plenty, too, and saw places that I could've never had hoped to see otherwise."

"... Nonsense." Artos turned around and walked away.

~10th moon of 296 AC

After a month had passed, King's Landing and its people had begun to grow accustomed to the rule of the Rightful King. The raging conflict between the Ironborn and King Robert had long since drawn to a halt as both became aware of Aerion's presence. The balance of the Realm began to shift in favour of the Targaryen loyalists as they drastically began to grow in number and rally in King's Landing. Some of the more neutral lords had already begun to see Robert as a weak King in comparison to Aerion, who had yet to lose a single battle. Could he, a King who struggled with the Ironborn, shield them from the terror that was the Dragon Emperor... the Stormcaller who had crushed all nine Free Cities beneath his feet?

The lords who valued their lives knew the answer to this question all too well. However, there was just one issue for a select few of these lords... some of them were already tied to King Robert's army. Deserting Robert's host and joining Aerion would be very, very, difficult. A majority of the greater lords under his banner remained especially loyal to him such as Jon Arryn, Eddard Stark and the ill Hoster Tully (who is now represented by his son, Edmure). This meant that they would likely either be mistaken for Robert's men in a battle, killed for attempting to escape or somehow (rather unlikely) manage to reach him. It was not a position one would envy.

...

Aerion walked into the Great Sept of Baelor to admire its architecture and settle a certain matter only to find Artos praying before a statue of the Warrior. He was not the only one present, of course. There was the High Septon along with a few other priests.

Aerion's steps were long yet noble as he made his way towards the Warrior.

"Praying for a God that doesn't exist... I truly pity you."

He remarked before turning to the High Septon. He was a fat man who could give the cheesemonger a run for his money in terms of both greed and size. The only attractive feature he had was the radiant crystal crown atop his head... which was quite dazzling to most eyes, especially thieves. However, due to his position, no one would dare attack the High Septon in broad daylight.

Ignore Aerion's previous statement, the High Septon spoke first. "What brings you here on this fine day, Your Grace?"

"I have come to admire the works of my ancestors," Aerion replied rather bluntly.

"Ah, I see." The High Septon chuckled. "Indeed, this whole sept was built under the orders of Baelor the Blessed. Even till this day, it remains one of the most remarkable landmarks in all of the Seven Kingdoms."

Aerion smiled slightly. "High Septon, I'd like to know your opinion on this... was the reign of Robert Baratheon a mistake?"

"Why, of course! The Realm had been divided because of Usurper's reign and could never be truly whole again. But now... with your return, all Seven Kingdoms will surely be united as one again and rise to even greater heights than ever thought possible."