○.91

Maxine came to a stop in the center of the balcony, hands resting gently against the center railing. She shined under the lights, drawing attention from the bottom floor. The soft hum of chatter slowly faded away as eyes attached themselves to the glowing secretary.

"Today, my friends, we gather as one for the inauguration of our new Capo; Yoonse's beloved son, Sehyoon." She started, looking down on the amassed members of her family.

"Sehyoon has been our coordinator since he was in high school, working faithfully to better us and our calling. Now, it is his time to take the reigns fully, and lead us to the top.

"I have seen him through some major ups and downs, including puberty - and let me tell you, that was one hell of a rollercoaster." She said, laughter lacing her happy voice. A soft murmur of chuckles filled the base floor, prompting Maxine to continue.

"But, the one thing, the one thing," she repeated, holding up one finger and strengthened her tone as she did, "I've never seen him struggle with is his judgement - that judgement has never failed us; from forming teams with bonds stronger than titanium, to helping build his fathers empire under the simple guise of an insurance company. He has nothing but the best interests for us as a company - and as a family - in mind.

"Sehyoon is a man who makes clear and confident decisions. He has a heart of gold for the ones he loves, and one of coal towards those who have wronged him. He prefers to look at people with an open heart, but never fails to acknowledge when they have done him wrong. Sehyoon will not take shit from anyone...well, maybe just me and his lover." She joked, chuckling to herself and rolling her eyes. She leaned forward on the railing more, sharp eyes scanning out over the crowd. The members downstairs laughed along with her, soft murmurs passed between a couple of women at Maxines words of a lover.

As the laughter died down, Maxines shoulders dropped. Her body relaxed as she crossed her arms and rested them on top of the railing.

"I don't know about y'all, but I'm honored to be working for Sehyoon. I trust him with my life, and he trusts us with his. His family saved my life, kept me on a straight path. I know for a fact that they have done the same for many of you. So, I'm gonna stop there. Sehyoon, Byeongkwan, please step forward."

Maxine turned around as Sehyoon and Byeongkwan emerged from the hallway. They caught every ones attention, eyes locking on like magnets. Though, the eyes were not locked on their faces. Every eye in the building was locked onto their clasped hands.

The couple shinned under the lights as the walked over to where Maxine stood. When they reached the secretary smiles were exchanged. Maxine started clapping, and everyone downstairs followed in suit. Sehyoon nodded and Byeongkwan offered a soft smile.

When the clapping died down, Maxine spoke again.

"Today, we pass on the mantle of Capo to Sehyoon. Though his fathers footsteps will be hard to surpass, I have confidence in him that he will accomplish more and keep us strong. Max, bring me the ring please." She laughed and smacked herself on the forehead, looking down at the gathered members with a smile. "I knew I was forgetting something...wow...some secretary I am...."

People laughed and smiled, comforting murmurs of understanding floated up.
Maxines twin brother Max came up the stairs, a dark black box in his hands. Max looked like the copy and pasted version of Maxine, but taller and with sharper features.

The box was black and rectangular, roughly the size of a bar of soap. Swirls made of silver had been pressed into the painted wood and sealed with resin, a simple clasp held it shut. Max passed it to his sister, his emotions hidden as usual.

Maxine took the box gently, nodding a simple thank you to Max before he turned around and faded back into the crowd.

"This box has been passed down generation to generation, the contents a symbol of leadership, responsibility, and commitment. It has been custom for the secretary to appoint the Capo his title and ring, but this year I thought I'd change things up. This year, I'd want Byeongkwan to have to honors of appointing his lover to Capo status."

Maxine grinned as surprised and shocked murders consumed the sea of mafia members. She had wanted this, the surprise of letting Byeongkwan do something so sacred to the triad while he was considered an outsider. Maxine shifting the right of passing on the ring to someone who-in the eyes of the people on the bottom floor - had yet to prove himself, ment that she trusted him. And if Maxine, a woman who didn't even trust her own twin, had even a sliver of trust in Byeongkwan - set an example for the rest. This was the first step in getting everyone else to trust Byeongkwan.

Byeongkwan squeezed Sehyoons hand tightly before he let go and took his place by Maxines side. Maxine opened the box and let Byeongkwan reach in.

Carefully Byeongkwan pulled out the ring from its place in the silk-lined box. The ring was a thick silver band, the outside engraved with the Jeolla-do jaguar Triad insignia. It was simple and beautiful.

Byeongkwan took Sehyoons left hand gently so everyone could see, and waited for Maxine to start speaking.

"Do you, Kim Sehyoon, promise to as long as you live, have only the best interests in mind for this family and what we stand for. Do you promise to uphold our code if it is violated. Do you promise, as heir by choice not heir by blood, to always stay by our side."

Sehyoon nodded, "I, Kim Sehyoon, swear on my life and my fathers legacy to uphold, protect, cherish, and honor everything we stand for as a family. I will do whatever it takes to keep us all safe and to better our lives. Everyone of you mean the world to me, you're may family. You were there for my father and supported him fully, I hope that I can have that same level of trust someday with all of you - and I will work for that everyday."

The crowd downstairs clapped loudly, whoops and hollers and whistles filled the room as Byeongkwan slid the ring onto Sehyoons left thumb. As the cheering continued and Maxine left with the box, Byeongkwan met Sehyoons hand and pressed a soft kiss to the cold metal band.

Okay...im finally okay with this chapter lol, sorry it took so long....ugh....sometimes i feel disgusted with myself for using idols as character fill ins and then i have a hard time writing🙃