4.0

4.0

Sarah POV

It's the last day of the year, December 31. The last week consisted of a shit load of shopping, since my mom is all about sales, and after Christmas, there's quite a lot.

Diana's family is coming over. She has a younger brother Connors age, and they're practically best friends. His name is John. We've spent a lot of New Year Eves together, actually. They're always really fun.

Sydney is sixteen hours ahead of Massachusetts. Since the boys are originally from Sydney, that's where Ashton, Calum, and Luke are, with their families. It's one o'clock there in the afternoon. Thirteen hours ago, when it was midnight there, and eight in the morning here, Luke FaceTimed Diana, and they both kissed the screen so that Luke got his New Years Kiss from his girlfriend. Diana is planning on doing the same thing. At 11:55, she's gonna FaceTime him before the ball drops at midnight. It's a really cute, actually. Obviously, Michael and I talked to him a little afterwards. He's going well. It was good to see his face and hear his voice. I've been texting him, along with the rest of the group, but this was nice.

In Australia, the drinking age is eighteen. In America, it's twenty-one. Why? I have no fucking clue. In my opinion, eighteen is the perfect age limit to drink. But I don't make the rules. Since I'm only nineteen, I will not be drinking today, like I usually would. Matthew is twenty-two, so he's legally allowed. (Key word, legally. He's been drinking - not getting pissed drunk, just like a beer or two at a time - since he was seventeen.) He will definitely be drinking tonight, but he hates being drunk, so luckily for him, he won't wake up with a hangover. He'll probably only have one.

My parents, though. No one in my family is anywhere near to being considered an alcoholic, but my parents like to drink. They don't like to party, they don't take shots, they don't chug drinks, but they will probably drink five or six beers today. They'll drink it slowly, and in a glass, in an attempt to be classy.

And you'd expect the younger ones to drink, huh.

Every year since I was thirteen, Matthew and I, and once Connor was older, we'd keep track of how many drinks they would both have.

"Hey, it's nine, let's watch a movie to pass time. Does that sound okay?" Mom suggests.

"Yes, I love movies. What do you want to watch?" Diana says.

"Ferris Bueller." My Dad suggests. John and Connor look at each other with 'what?' faces, and it makes me laugh.

"It came out in 1986, Con." I tell him and they nod.

"Why are we watching a movie that came out in the 80's?" John asks.

"Because my dad's line of interest is in the 80's and the 80's only." Connor explains.

"Why?"

"Cause he's old." I say.

"I'm not that old, I'm only 41."

"Only." Matthew, Connor, and I say at the same time, causing us all to laugh.

"Ha ha. Sarah, please, go get the movie and put it in."

"Okay!" I say and hop up from my spot to go get the movie.

"I'm going to get myself a beer first." Dad says.

Dad: 1

I find the movie in my parents room and put it into the DVD player. I cuddle up to Michael, and somehow, not sure how, we manage to fit not only the seven of us that have been here for a few weeks now, but also the three extra people. It's the same furniture we had when I disconnected myself from the family, and it fit us perfectly then. Now, we've doubled the amount of people squeezing in here. It's a miracle.