0.8

0.8

Sarah POV

"So, today is my brothers birthday." I tell Michael on Thursday over the phone.

"So call him. Tell him happy birthday."

"It's not that easy, Mike. It's my younger brother. The one who still lives with my parents."

"Does he have a cell phone?"

"Unfortunately not."

"Is Diana home?"

"Nope."

"Okay, so, I'll be over in a few minutes. You'll call your house phone and ask to talk to him. If you need me, I will be right there for you. Got it?"

"Yep." He hangs up then and I try to swallow down nerves. My mom will probably answer, and yes, she does hate me. I have no clue how she will react. Would she not want me talking to my brother? Would she play nice? Would she just be bitchy and then hand me over to Connor? (That's my brothers name.) No fucking clue.

A knock on the door break me from my thoughts. I run over to answer it. Obviously, it was Michael. I let him in and start to pace.

"So, what is your younger brothers name?"

"Connor."

"Okay, so just say to your mother 'Hi, Mom, this is Sarah. I would like to speak to Connor.'"

"What if she refuses?"

"Then tell her that you deserve you talk to him, that you never did anything to him."

"Um, I never did anything to her either! I made myself how I wanted to fucking be, and she didn't like it, so I moved out. She couldn't appreciate me for who I am. That's her problem."

"I understand that."

"Okay, great."

"Just call her. I'll be right here for you if you need me." The nerves flooded back in and I nod. Michael sits down next to and takes my hand in his, slowly stroking it and calming me.

He's holding my hand.

Anyway,

I dial the house number and after three rings, she answers.

"This is Melissa King, may I ask who's calling?"

"Um, hi, Mom. I-It's Sarah, your daughter."

"Oh, you mean the daughter that disobeyed me and ran away?" I sigh.

"Yes, Mom."

"Have you called to apologize?"

"I have nothing to apologize for."

"Well, fine then. Why did you call?"

"I want to tell Connor happy birthday."

"Why would you want to tell him that?"

"Just because I ran away doesn't mean I love him any less. He's still my brother."

"I'll tell him you called."

"No, Mom, I want to talk to him."

"Fine." She coldly says and calls for Connor. I hear his footsteps coming.

"It's Sarah." I hear my mom say. The phone made some noises meaning that she's passing it to him and he was on the phone.

"Sarah, I never thought you would call!"

"I did."

"Mom and Dad have been really cranky since you left. They're always talking about how they're disappointed in you and how they can't believe you ran away. By the way, where are you?"