17: ☆ a swim ☆

Start from the beginning

"What is it a crime to want to know how my daughter's doing?" he questioned but I narrowed my eyes.

"Dad you're a terrible liar what is it," I said bluntly knowing that he was keeping something from me. He opened his mouth and closed it not knowing how to say what he needed to.

"Your mother was a Gryffindor you know," he said while sitting down next to me, "bravest woman I'd ever met." 

"Was she in the same year as you?" I implored as my eyes went bigger from this revelation wanting to know more.

"No I was one above. But she was furious when the ravenclaw quidditch team beat hers and I can still remember her angry little face yelling at our captain demanding a rematch," he smiled at the distant memory, "that was the first time I met her, and I was entranced by her ever since." I put a hand on my dad's shoulder reassuringly.

"Thank you for telling me," I responded, "I hope that I'm making her proud." He looked over to me finally meeting my eyes.

"Listen sweetheart. You remind me so much of your mother and she was always trying to protect everyone. To the point where she ended up losing herself," he said, "I just don't want you to follow in her footsteps and put yourself in danger."

I looked at him with raised eyebrows, "what do you mean put myself in danger the craziest thing I've ever done is fly from America to herewith you guys," I joked. He looked like he was in a mental argument with himself as he took a few seconds to respond.

"There's just a lot that happened in the past you don't understand. I want you to come to me if anything weird ever happens okay," I opened my mouth to speak but he interrupted, "No Violet i'm serious. If you ever feel something that's wrong I need you to come to me."

"Okay okay," I answered not understanding his urgent voice, "I promise." He stood up and wiped the dirt off his pants.

"I'll leave you to your thoughts then. I'll see you at dinner," he said goodbye as he walked back up towards the castle.

A lot of time went by while I gazed upon the water replaying the the conversation over in my head. I didn't understsnd what his message was. My dad said to come to him if I ever felt anything that was weird and he seemed to warn me that something like that happened to my mom in the past? As I picked the grass and kept having a silent conversation with myself I didn't notice the ginger haired boy that appeared next to me.

"You weren't at dinner," his voice said. Fred came and took the spot my dad had been sitting in. I hadn't spoken to him one on one since the day in the Owlery but weirdly enough I felt comfortable with his presence.

"I guess I got lost in my thoughts," I admitted watching the sun disappear behind the lake as the sky turned completely dark.

"Everything good?" he asked.

"I found out that my mom was a Gryffindor," I smiled sadly, "I bet she was the courageous woman out there," I gushed thinking of her.

"Well Gryffindors are pretty big daredevils so I can pretty much guarantee you're right." I laughed at his comment.

"So you consider yourself a daredevil then?" I asked. He smirked at me from the side.

"Of course. There's nothing I wouldn't do."

"Nothing hm," I rubbed my chin, "jump in then," I dared him as I tilted my head towards the water.

"Excuse me?" he exclaimed. I knew Fred was bold but I never expected him to actually stand up and agree, "Okay fine then. But only if you go with me."