~ Part 87 ~ Empty Chairs and Empty Tables, Where My Friends Will Sing No More ~

Cancer - My Chemical Romance

When Remus Lupin appeared with a pop at Kings Cross on the first day of school, he about had a heart attack. Despite the fact that it was 1993, everywhere he looked all he could see were memories. First year, that was where he had bumped into Sirius... that was where he had helped Peter gather the contents of his trunk that were strewn across the floor... that was where he had seen James laughing with what seemed to be his father...

Remus shook his head, closing his eyes for a moment.

No, he told himself. This is a new start. Key word new. Don't you let the past come back and haunt you, Remus.

After a deep breath, he proceeded forward, nothing but a briefcase in hand. And no matter how much he wanted to, just so he could forget it was the Marauders who had gifted him it, Remus couldn't bring himself to get rid of the little case.

With a glance to his left and right, Remus rushed through the brick wall into Platform 9 3/4.

Ignoring even more memories crashing into his brain, he briskly walked through the empty platform and to the train. Empty because Remus had gotten there several hours before the train set off-several hours before anyone would arrive-just so he could experience this bittersweet moment alone.

He stepped onto the train, and as he was walking past compartment after compartment, he found himself counting, even though he willed himself not to.

1,

2,

3,

4,

5,

6,

7,

8,

And finally the 9th train car.

Remus held his breath as he turned, entering the first compartment on the left. He swallowed, sliding the door closed, his eyes scanning the walls, looking at all the stains and carvings of the past.

He took a seat right by the window, the empty compartment feeling so bare without it's usual occupants.

But Remus shouldn't be thinking of such things. Because the Marauders were gone.

James was dead.

Peter was dead.

Sirius was in Azkaban.

The Marauders were no more.

He settled into his seat, eyes somberly wandering, looking at the vacant compartment one last time before he fell asleep.

~ ~ ~

Remus awoke to frightened chatter and darkness.

He blinked, and tried to orient himself. He looked around, and was quite surprised to find that the train had stopped.

Had they already arrived at Hogwarts?

Remus squinted at his watch in the darkness. They couldn't be there yet.

Remus found it surprising that it was dark; that the power was out. Remus knew that this was a rare occurrence. It was Hogwarts, after all-nothing ever went wrong.

He then tuned in to the noise around him; there we several people speaking at once.

"I'm going to ask the driver what's going on," came a feminine voice, and he heard the door slide open, a thud and squeal of pain following this action.