~ Part 81 ~ Friday, December 23, 1977 ~

Free Fallin' - Tom Petty

-Lily POV-

Back at the table, we had all just been laughing for like, an hour. It was 8:30. And suddenly, the peppy, makes-you-wanna-dance music switched to slow music.

"All of the students 3rd year and below, please make your way back to your assigned house dormitory," McGonagall's voice rang through the Great Hall. And soon enough, as I looked around the Hall, it seemed there were no students younger than 14.

Listening further to the slow music, and looking out at the dance floor, I realize that this was the dance time for couples.

I looked over at James. "One last dance?"

He grinned. "It is a ball, after all."

Hand in hand, we make our way towards the dance floor. Once we reach the middle, James twirls me around, and after doing a 360, I'm back to facing him. Our noses are almost touching, and all of a sudden the room seems a lot warmer.

James smiles, and I melt at the sight of those dimples. He leans forward, nuzzling his nose against mine, and I can't suppress the grin forming on my lips.

I grab his hands, one of his in each of mine, and we sway slowly to the calm music. I find myself staring into those hazel eyes of his, unable to tear my gaze away.

We are like this for Merlin knows how long until James speaks.

"Lily," James says softly, looking at me as if he can see into my soul. "I love you."

I suck in a breath, and avert my eyes from his. When I look back at him a moment, I can see his Adam's Apple bobbing, and a sort of helpless look in his eye.

"I..." I start, but my voice cracks. My mind wanders to Petunia, and how happy we had been before I learned I was a witch.

Flashback~>

"No!" Tuney replied, laughing. "Tiana is the best princess. She gets to kiss Prince Naveen and have true love! And she finally gets her dream restaurant in the end!"

"Mulan is better because she doesn't need a prince to save her! She defeats the Huns and saves China all by herself!" I exclaim, giggling.

"But don't you want a prince? He doesn't have to save you," Petunia says. "Tiana saved Naveen, but Naveen helped Tiana too. It can be both ways!"

After a moment of quiet, we both listen to the radio as the previous song finishes. Jumping up at the start of our favorite song, we both get ready to sing.

"The seaweed is always greener
In somebody else's lake
You dream about going up there
But that is a big mistake,"

We both sing loudly, laughing, sneaking jelly beans from the candy bowl on the counter.

"Under the sea, under the sea!
Darling it's better, down where it's wetter,
Take it from me!"

Later, I salute to Tuney as she solemnly leaves for a doctors appointment. And obviously, being at a young age, this was a very grim time for us. "Good luck, Tuney. If you don't make it, I love you."

"I love you too."

~ ~ ~

"Tuney can you believe it?" My 11 year old self says happily, hopping down the stairs and into the kitchen. "I'm actually going to Hogwarts! And today we're supposed to go to Diagon Alley to get all of my supplies!"