Chapter 111: Every Problem Has A Solution

Avery's POV

"Nina! Nina! are you there?"

I begin to panic after hearing what seems to be a crash.

"Nina can you hear me?", I try yelling out over the sound of a horn blowing in the background. After a few seconds I hear a click and the phone disconnects. Fearing that Nina may be in trouble I grab my keys and wallet and rush downstairs.

"Where are you off to in such a hurry?", my mother questions as I almost bump into her.

"I'll tell you later, I think something might have happened."

"What's wrong honey?"

"I don't know, hopefully nothing", I race to my car and try dialing her again but she doesn't answer.

The last thing I heard her say before the phone disconnected was that she was headed to my house. Assuming that she left from her home, I decide to drive in that direction.

Getting every red light in the city I try to keep my composure and not think the worst.

Suddenly my phone begins to ring and I rush to answer thinking that it's Nina.

"Hello Nina?"

"Uhh no it's Olivia. Why do you sound so frantic?"

"Olivia I really can't talk right now."

"Ok wait before you go do you know where Rachel is? I've been trying to get a hold of her ever since she so rudely hung up on me earlier."

"No....I'm sorry I have to go. I'll call you back."

A few blocks away from Nina's home I pull up to see police cars, a fire truck and ambulance blocking the road. I park my car and run over to where an officer is taping off the street with yellow tape.

"Hey Ma'am I need you to back up and stay behind the line."

I lean on my tip toes trying to look around him. As I look closer I get a glimpse of a car flipped over. I make a dash for under the tape and immediately regret it.

"Oh my God!", I yell out.

"Hey you can not be in the perimeter. This is an active scene."

My breathing becomes out of rhythm as I start to panic,"That's my friend's car. Is she ok? What happened?"

"Ma'am I need you to calm down and step behind the line. Once you do that-"

As he touches my shoulder guiding me back across the line I see a gurney being wheeled away. I look at the van that has Los Angeles County Coroner spread across it.

"Where is my friend? I need to see her."

"Ma'am I regret to inform you that there was an accident and your friend did not make it."

"What?! that can't be right. I was just on the phone with her."

"She came out of nowhere. I blew my horn and tried to swerve but it was too late", a man standing by talking to another officer says. "She ran the red light and didn't stop... It was an accident I didn't mean for this to happen", the man says with his hands over his head looking worried.

"I know this is a lot for you to process, but maybe you can help us with getting in contact with her next of kin", the officer speaking with me says.

Tears roll down my face as I see the lifeless body of my friend being placed in the back of a van.

***********
Jennifer's POV