Chapter 106: Out Of Touch

Nina's POV

I'm headed to Senator Abner's office when I feel a hand placed on my shoulder. I turn around to see Avery with a worried look on her face.

"Don't do this."

"Avery you said you were in this no matter what. Don't tell me Rachel used her witchcraft on you again."

"No it's just this can have serious repercussions if you get caught."

"I'm not going to get caught because you're going to do it."

Avery's face drops, "Nina."

"I need you to prove you have no loyalties to Rachel, so here", I say passing her the listening device. "Go bug her girlfriend's office so we can get an inside scoop."

She is hesitant to take it, "You said you wanted Senator Abner to regret she ever met Rachel, this is going to help us ensure that."

She takes it out of my hand and begins to make her way to Abner's office.

**********

Avery's POV

As I walk down the hall something tells me to turn back around but I can't. One part of me feels guilty about my participation, but the other part agrees with Nina. Rachel really hurt me and so did Senator Abner. Seeing them around the office share glances at each other, or even worse seeing them outside of work together is still hard to accept.

I take a deep breath and knock on the Senator's door.

"Come in."

She looks up from her paperwork and takes off her glasses. "Hi Avery, what can I do for you?"

"I-I"

"Avery are you ok?"

"Yes sorry, I need your signature on this."

"I'll do it this time because I'm leaving for a few days, but you know the procedure. Anything that requires my signature should be passed through the proper channels."

"Ok", I respond.

She brings the paper up to her face reading over it and I take that as my opportunity to quickly place the device under the front ledge of her desk.

She puts the paper on her desk and signs it. "Here you go."

"Thank you."

I swiftly leave her office and brush shoulders with Rachel on my way out. "Oh sorry."

"It's ok. What are you up to Av?"

"Nothing, why would I be up to something."

"Calm down, I just meant how's your day going so far."

"Oh sorry, it's ok."

"Av are you ok? You've seemed really off lately."

"I'm fine", I say walking away.

**********

Rachel's POV

I knock on Jenn's door and she calls for me to come in. She's about to remove her glasses when she realizes it's me.

"Your insecurity about your glasses will never not be cute", I tease her.

"I'm not insecure about them."

"Yeah right", I smile."Hey what did Avery want?"

"She needed a document signed. Have you checked in with her lately she seemed nervous approaching me."