Chapter 1: Hello Cruel World

Rachel's POV

*Four Years Ago*

"Yo Rachel, pass me a beer."

"Here, maybe slow down a bit? We're not even halfway through the night", I say to my best friend's semi-belligerent boyfriend.

"Would you loosen up for once? It's a party, and plus you know I have a high tolerance level", he says as he drunkenly stumbles into my coffee table.

"Sam, I hate to break it to you but it's not a party. We're here to watch the election results." 

"But it turned into a party so let's get lit", he replies raising his beer.

I honestly don't know what Olivia sees in him. Not to be judgmental, but he has nothing going for him besides his parents' money and the size of his dick. Yes I know, fucking gross! and that's the same thing I've told Olivia every time she shows me an unsolicited picture of it.

I always forgive her though. Olivia and I have been friends since before we were born, seeing as our parents go way back. Our friendship grew closer when one day on the playground she stood up to a group of girls that were bullying me because of the color of my skin.

Yeah, kids suck but Olivia made my crucial adolescent years somewhat tolerable. From that day on we've been pretty much inseparable. I love her like a sister but trust me when I say she has the worst taste in men. Granted she would say the same about me. Only instead of men, women are my weakness.

She swears I'm only attracted to "fuck girls", or girls that have enough emotional baggage for the both of us. And hey she's not completely wrong, but I like to think I don't have a type.

Speaking of girls, I haven't seen much of my girlfriend tonight. I walk over to the couch where she is chatting with my roommate Vanessa.

"Hey babe, what have I missed? ", I say as I lean in for a kiss.

The beautiful Natalie Davis. Total "fuck girl" on the outside, but her heart is where the true substance lies. We've been dating since our freshman year in college and we're seniors now. It's crazy how fast time passes. In these past few years we've been through more than you can imagine.

"Nothing much. Vanessa has been keeping me company while you go entertain", Natalie says with a hint of annoyance in her tone.

Her response catches me off guard, "Is something wrong?"

"Nope, everything is good. Just chilling like you were with Avery", she snidely remarks.

"Ok, that's my cue to go", Vanessa says as she all but runs away from the couch.

"Nat, are you serious? You know it's not like that between us, we're just friends. I don't know why you have a problem every time we hang out. I'm with you because I love you".

"Yeah well it doesn't seem that way. She's always all over you".

"You should trust me enough to know that I would never ruin what we have. She's my friend, and I have set boundaries with her. She knows nothing is ever going to happen between the two of us", I reply back as I hold her hand for reassurance.

Avery and I met around the same time I met Natalie. We quickly became friends as we bonded over our similar interests in pop culture, politics, and women. After a few months of hanging out, she confessed that she had feelings for me but I had already secretly started dating Natalie. We've remained great friends, and I think she's gotten over that little crush she had, but whatever the case may be my heart wants what it wants and that's Natalie Davis.