Chapter 27: Innuendo

Senator Abner's POV

"Good Morning Senator. On your agenda today you have two meetings. One with The Board of Supervisors, another with The Mayor, and you have press coming by at 2pm for a candid interview", Mia says following behind me as I walk to my office.

"Busy day. Why did I sign up for this job again?", I say smiling.

"There's also one more thing. I'm sorry to bother you with this first thing in the morning, but you need to take a look at this."

She shoves her phone in front of  my face.On the phone I see a anonymous Twitter account that claims to be an insider. The account has several tweets trashing me, and several tweets about how the office is ran. "Normally we wouldn't care about this type of thing, but it's gaining traction. Three thousand people have already followed the account over night", Mia explains.

"So get it taken down", I say slightly yelling at Mia. I know it's not her fault, but her inability to do her job sometimes is all I need this morning to make me lose it. 

"We're already working on it, but just so you know boss, a lot of people think Rachel is behind the account."

I freeze. No. She wouldn't...Would she?

"She didn't do this", I say handing the phone back to Mia. 

Mia's mouth opens in shock, "What? No offense but are we talking about the same Rachel?"

"It's not her M.O. plus she knows she doesn't have anymore changes", I reason with her. 

"Honestly I don't think she cares."

I look down and fiddle with my pen,"I think I've broken through to her."

"Ok so how do you want to handle it?", Mia asks. 

I sigh, "Bring her in and I'll talk to her. Tell her to bring her laptop and phone with her."

Within minutes Rachel is in my office with a small smile on her lips. 

"Have a seat Rachel, Mia you can stay too."

"What's this about?". Rachel asks as her smile fades. 

"Please unlock your phone and computer for me" I say looking down. I don't want to invade her privacy, but in this moment I have to. 

She looks confused, "Why?"

I shake my head, "Rachel, please just do it."

She oblidges and hands me both devices. I look at her phone first and go to her Twitter app. I see that it's just her profile logged in. I put it down and open her laptop and go to her web browser history.

"Wait", Rachel yells as she reaches for the laptop. 

It's too late I see what she's trying to hide. 

I meet eyes with her and she sits back down in the chair defeated, holding her face in her hands. 

I look over at Mia who's monitoring the situation closely. I clear Rachel's web history. 

"Here Mia. I don't see anything, but take it to IT and see if her IP addresses match with the account", I say not breaking eye contact with Rachel. 

Mia closes door, rushing to prove me wrong about Rachel. 

"I didn't consent to that", Rachel says looking up at me. 

"Don't worry I cleared your web history."

"What you saw I didn't-"

"I don't care what you do in your personal life Ms. Taff."