Chapter 18: Redemption?

Rachel's POV

"I can't wait for the rally today!", Avery says full of excitement.

"Yeah it will be nice to get out of the office for awhile", I respond back disinterested.

"I wish Senator Abner was speaking, but I guess we'll see her speak soon at the town hall."

Senator Frankle is having a rally, and as a sign of support Abner is sending her interns, while she disguises it as an assignement for us.

"Woo, so excited. Can't hardly wait", I say sarcastically.

"Rach, you promised you would be nice."

"And I have been. I haven't said anything out of line to her or Mia...today."

Avery laughs, "I'm so proud of you."

Mia walks into the room giving us our next assignment. "Before we head to the rally, I need you guys to help move boxes from the basement to the meeting room. Next week we'll work on putting together information packets for the town hall. We'll also be giving away merchandise."

"Stop standing around and get to work", she says clapping her hands together.

After bringing up 20 or so boxes, we all wait for Mia's next instructions.

"Manual labour is not something I signed up for", I say fanning myself.

"You look so good doing it though", Avery says smiling.

"Fucking lesbos", Jacob mutters.

Before I can respond Mia returns to the room, letting me know Senator Abner wants to see me.

"Ugh, what did you do now?", Nina says rolling her eyes.

As I make my walk to her office I start to think to myself if I actually did do something.

"Hi Rachel."

"Hi."

"You're not in trouble for once. I called you into my office because I know Mia has you going to a rally, but I was wondering if you will stay back and work on a special project."

"What kind of project?", I question.

"The annual homeless count is coming up, and as we all saw from your speech you know your stuff. For years we've done the count and our numbers are nowhere near significant", Abner explains.

"Makes sense, so then you write it off as nothing."

She slightly rolls her eyes at me, "With that being said I want you to map out areas of impact, times to go-"

"Don't you have deputies that get paid to do this? I think it's just a little above my pay grade."

She points her pen in my direction, "That attitude isn't going to get you anwhere in the work force." "If what you produce is good we'll use it, and it'll put you back in the running for that permanent position."

"Can I trust you with this?", she questions with her hazel eyes burning into mine.

"Yes, challenge accepted", I say not breaking eye contact.

"May the odds ever be in your favor", she adds.

"Hunger Games fan?"

She smirks, "What can I say, I thought Katniss was pretty bad ass."

I leave office and shut her door. I smile to myself. Maybe she's not all that bad.....No, yes she is.Fuck! she's good.

I go back to meeting room to join the group.