Chapter 6: Home For The Holidays

Rachel's POV

It's been a little over a week since I interviewed with Senator Abner's office and I still haven't heard anything. I'm trying not to think about it too hard because It's my favorite time of the year. The school semester is ending and it's time for the holidays. Thanksgiving is tomorrow, so I figure it's time to find a more permanent solution to my living situation. Olivia has been great with letting me stay with her, and I know she doesn't mind but I feel bad intruding on her space.

"Hi baby girl."

"Hey mom", I say as I reach in to give her a hug.

She pulls away and takes my arm to twirl me around, "You look so thin are you even eating?"

"Yes mom."

"Let me find out you've gone back to your old ways and I swear Rachel".

Seriously? I haven't been in the house for five minutes and there she goes bringing up my past. My posture sinks down."Mom, I'm just walking in the door. Can we please not do this?"

"Ok, but I'm making your favorite for dinner tonight and I better see you eat it. All of it."

In my mind I'm rolling my eyes, "I will mom."

"Good. Now go put your stuff in your room and get ready. Your father is on his way, and your brother and sister should get here tomorrow morning."

"Sounds good mom", I reply as I haul my ass up the stairs and fall on my bed. I immediately grab my phone and text the group chat with Olivia, Avery, and Kennedy.

Immediately after the group convo ends I get a text from Kennedy teasing me about Avery's comment

Immediately after the group convo ends I get a text from Kennedy teasing me about Avery's comment. I haven't gotten around to asking her yet but I will soon. I also get a text from Olivia asking if I'm ok after my mother's criticism. Besides my family, Olivia is the only person that knows what I went through in high school.  I reassure her I'm ok and I go freshen up and get settled in.

I go downstairs and I hear one of my favorite voices. "Hey dad",  I run over to give him a hug.

"Hey hunny how have you been?"

I shrug my shoulders, "I'm doing ok."

He places his hand on my shoulder and looks sternly into my eyes, "Your mother tells me you aren't eating again. Is that true?"

I grab an apple from the counter and bite into it, "See I'm eating."

"Just making sure. You're still our baby, we worry about you all the time."

"Well you shouldn't. Compared to everyone else I know I'm pretty boring", I respond back.

"You aren't boring you just have your head on straight. You've known what you've wanted since you were younger, and your determination has always lead you there. I remember you always had to be the line leader in school, the science fair winner, the winner of a debate", my father says smiling.