Chapter 26: Relationships Are A Funny Thing

Avery's POV

I'm happy to see that Rachel is making an effort with her work relationships, but I really thought I would get to enjoy pride with her. Instead I've been stationed at a booth two steps away from Jacob, who keeps trying to hit on every lesbian that comes our way. 

Finally I see the float that she's on make a stop near the curb in front of us. I see her coming down the steps behind Senator Abner with a smirk on her face. Hopefully she hasn't managed to offend the senator anymore than she already has. 

"Hey did you have fun?", I say walking up to her. 

"Yeah it was ok", Rachel says running her fingers through her hair. "How about you?" 

"I spent most of the day talking to a lot of great people. A couple even asked me to be a third", I giggle. 

She smiles at me, "Not a surprise. You're so damn hot." My face turns red in embarrassment, "Do you want to grab dinner?"

"I can't I have an assignment that's due next week for my capstone class ", she replies. 

"Ok. Yeah I should probably get some school work done too."

"Ok." 

"I'll see you at work tomorrow." I kiss her goodbye and I see Senator Abner look over at us. When we meet eyes she smiles and waves us goodbye. 

When I get home I see my mom sitting on the couch. I go over and sit down next to her. 

"Hey hunny how was your day?"

"It was good. Pride was fun."

"So why do you have that look on your face? Everything ok with Rachel?", she asks turning down the tv. 

"Everything is great with Rachel. It's just..she said she loved me when she was drunk, but she doesn't remember she said it. And she hasn't said it again."

"Oh baby I'm sorry. She probably wants to find the right time to tell you. You know what they say, drunk words are sober thoughts", my mother says placing her hands on mine. 

"I just wish she would say it again. Do you know how long I've wanted to hear those words from her?"

"I know, but you can't except her to know how you're feeling. You either need to tell her you love her, or wait until she says it to you."

I sigh, "It's so scary."

"First loves are always scary. I told your father I loved him after three weeks, and I was horrified", she says smiling. 

"Wow. I never knew that. Did he say it right back?"

"He told me a week later after he was able to apprehend his feelings. You just have to move at your own pace. If you both love each other it will all work out."

**********

Rachel's POV

All Sunday night I work diligently to finish the book Abner gave me. As I reach the end of the book, I realize there's something stuck in between the final pages.