Chapter 64: The Good Inside You

Rachel's POV

"I'm here this morning with Senator Jennifer Abner who is so graciously providing meals and toys to families across the state of California. Senator this is such a great idea. Can you tell us how it came about?"

"Thanks Lin. Every year millions of children go without receiving anything on Christmas day. Families are struggling and living pay check to pay check. We understand that, so myself along with Children's Hope have partnered together to provide families struggling this holiday season with warm meals and gifts. While I am based here in LA, my staff along with volunteers, and some other special guest are all across California doing the same. If you are in the holiday spirit, there are plenty of ways you can help out today. You can donate or bring an unwrapped gift to one of our locations."

"You can visit Senator Abner's and Children's Hope websites listed on the screen for more information. Thank You Senator Abner."

"Thank you Lin and thank you to everyone at ABC. Happy Holiday's everyone", Jenn says waving at the camera.

Avery and I watch as Jenn completes one of her many interviews of the morning. She keeps a smile on her face as she's bounced back in forth between interviews, handing out food, and greeting everyone. I always thought these events were put on just for photo op, but Jenn and everyone else helping today are really invested in this cause.

"It's so cool getting to see Senator Abner do all of this up close. It makes me excited to start classes again. Who knows where our careers could lead one day", Avery says in awe. After all she is one of Jenn's biggest supporters.

Jenn looks over in our direction and smiles , "Yeah it's pretty cool to see so many happy as a result of this."

We return back to our designated work station passing out unwrapped gifts to children.

"Aww he's so cute", Avery says handing a toy to a little boy with big brown eyes and a curly head of hair.

"Ugh I guess it is kind of cute."

He begins to cry as he walks by Santa Claus. His parents come over to pick him up, but he falls to the ground having a tantrum.

"And there it goes", I say cringing at Avery.

She laughs. "What are your plans for tomorrow?"

"I'll probably just stay in and watch Carol." It will be a quiet Christmas this year as I'm still not on speaking terms with my family. Liv will be with her parents. And it's not like we were going to spend the day together, but Jenn will be out of town visiting her in-laws.

"What about you?"

"My mom invited you know who over. Every holiday he is around now. Before he came along it was just me and my mom with our traditions."

"Well if you want to get away you're welcome to come over and hang."

"Thanks."

I look over when I hear a bunch of commotion. I see Jenn's husband greet her with a kiss. I hear a sea of "awwws" coming from the onlookers.

I roll my eyes at that dreadful sight.

********

Jennifer's POV

"Hey honey thanks for coming",I say to Greg as he wraps me in a hug.

He flashes his signature smile and rolls up his sleeves, "I'm happy to help. Where would you like me?"