Chapter 95: You, Me, and Her

Jennifer's POV

I take Rachel's hand leading her into the kitchen where Greg awaits. The two make eye contact and Rachel takes a seat next to me. Her demeanor is stern, but I know she feels a little uneasy given the circumstances.

"Ok there's a few things that need to be discussed between the three of us", I say looking between the two.

Greg's face displays both disbelief and anger as he looks at the two of us. "What's to discuss Jenn? You've clearly lost your mind banging your intern and all."

"She's no longer my intern, and -"

"Like that fucking makes a difference."

"Are you going to let her talk or are you just going to keep interrupting?", Rachel says glaring at Greg. 

He clenches his jaw dying to say something but I give him a look.

"As I was saying, we need to discuss how things are going to work between the three of us."

"Three of us", he chuckles. "You know Jenn I'm really concerned for you. Have you taken to drugs? Tell me what is it really because there's no way you're in your right mind anymore. Dropping out the race might be what's best for you and the rest of the world. You're not fit to lead anything."

"Ok, what you're not going to do is sit here and disrespect her. Especially not in front of me."

He laughs looking Rachel directly in the eyes, "I see you both are delusional. You think you of all people can come into my household and tell me how to talk to my wife?...Let me tell you something kid. She's using you to make me jealous. This is all amusement for her. You saw that stunt she pulled last night making sure I conveniently walked in on the two of you. This isn't new, this what she does. Anytime we take a break she runs into the arms of a woman. She did it back in college and she's doing it now. She's not doing it because she cares about you, it's a power play to show dominance."

Rachel sits there fuming as she listens to his derision. I put my hand over hers in an effort to calm her down.

"Run for the hills kid, run for the hills", he says taking a sip of beer.

"A pathetic excuse of a man calling me a kid, that's rich", Rachel interjects. "Jenn deserves so much better than you. I don't even know you but what I do know is that you're a dumbass. You continuously hurt this woman who does nothing but go out of her way to do the best for others. She-"

He chuckles, interrupting her. "She has you drinking the Kool-Aid, or is it the other way around?"

"You bitch", she says getting up from the table almost lunging forward.

I stop her and turns her toward me placing my forehead to hers. "Hey, hey I know you're upset but don't give him the satisfaction. This is what he does, he always needs the reaction." I see the anger in her eyes and as I caress her face and reassure her until I see her gain composure. "It's going to be alright. I'm here."

She nods her head and takes a seat back at the table as he continues his tirade. "Two emotionally unstable bitches, how's whatever this is going to work between the two of you?"

"Greg that's enough. You will not disrespect Rachel, not now and not ever. Let me set one thing straight with you, she's going to me in my life whether you like it or not. So I suggest you put your hurt ego aside and learn to accept it. She's going to be around here more often and you will make her feel welcomed."

"This bitch has no place in our home."

"Call me a bitch again Gregory. I'm begging you", Rachel spits out.

"Stop!", I stand up and yell out gaining both or their attention. "Would you both grow up and stop the back and forth. I need us all to be civil for this to work. We all have a common goal here right? so let's act like it. Greg we both know we aren't in love with each other anymore so I moved on just like you did-"

"Only when he did it he failed and got tricked into believing a baby was his", Rachel says smirking.

"Rachel."

"Sorry she says looking up at me. Continue."

"As I was saying, Rachel and I formed something that is beautiful but unfortunately I can't share that with the world. That's were you come in, we're married, we make a good team, we know the game and we play it well. Me getting as far as I can in this election is a good thing for all of us. The main goal is winning, but I won't get ahead of myself. With that being said, Greg no matter how you feel about this you need to look at the bigger picture. Money, notoriety, opportunities are all going to flow in. Rachel for us we get to continue our relationship while I get to do what I've always dreamed of. I know you don't care about all the other stuff."

"Yeah the perks that's all fine and dandy, but you expect me to sit around and watch you with her? That's not happening."

"Take your "business trips", do what you have to do. Just don't get caught and wrap it up this time."

He has a stern look on his face, but I see promise.

"So are we going to go on this crazy ride together or are you two ready to jump off ship?"

Silence lingers in the room as I look at the both of them.

"I know how important this to you, so I'm in as long as he stays in his lane", Rachel says looking into my eyes.

I smile and kiss her hand.

"Greg?"

"Fuck it. What do I have to lose at this point?"

"Great so we're all in agreement. We ride this thing out and see how far it goes...Now who's ready for dinner?"

"I'll take a rain check. That is a little too polygamous for me", Rachel says getting up.

"Ok, I'll walk you out." Rachel takes one last look at Greg in disgust and rolls her eyes.

Before she opens the front door she turns around and looks at me.

I sigh,"I know that was a lot, but it was your first time really meeting each other."

"Jenn he's an asshole. I'll never like him."

"And you don't have to. All that matters is you and me."

"You're lucky I love you", she says putting her forehead to mine.

"Very lucky", I say with a smile.

She puts her lips to mine giving me a kiss. "Bye."

"Bye. Text me when you get home so I know you made it ok."

I walk back into the kitchen to see Greg waiting for me to return. When we meet eyes he begins to slowly clap. "Well you've really done it this time."

"Done what Greg? ", I say disgusted by his behavior.

"Fucked yourself over. It's going to be glorious when this blows up in your face. I can't wait to stand there and say I told you so....You're banging your employee, who is what 10 or 15 younger than you? You're a joke."

"Oh so that's only ok when you do it then?"

"You brought her into our home and gave her the golden fucking ticket Jenn. Open your eyes. She could sell her story and be set for life. You can kiss your career goodbye. You might as well write her a check now and send her on her way. I know how much you enjoy paying people off."

"I brought her into my home because I trust and love her."

"Love?",he chuckles.

"Yes I love her and that's why I know she would never do anything like that. Is it so hard for you to believe that someone actually cares for me and isn't out for money like you? Like I said last night Greg, she's everything you're not."

He nods his head, "And like I said you deserve everything you have coming to you. Enjoy playing house."