Chapter 43: I Don't Belong Here

TW// Eating Disorder-Bulimia

Rachel's POV

You know that feeling when you've cried so much that you get a lump in your throat and it's hard to talk? That's exactly how I've been feeling lately. It's been two weeks since Jennifer basically told me to fuck off, and I had that spat with my parents. I'd be lying if I said it hasn't taken a toll on me mentally and physically. It feels like my world is caving in all at once and I'm standing there waiting to get crushed. 

"Rachel...Rachel...babe", Avery says trying to get my attention.

"What?"

"Are you ok?", she questions.

"I'm fine."

She caresses my face, "You don't look ok. You look sick and you've lost weight."

"I've been losing weight because I've been going to the gym."

"When? I talked to Olivia and you tell both of us you're going home."

"Yeah well you both need to mind your business", I say annoyed.

"Rach we're just worried about you."

"Avery can you fucking give me space? You're smothering me. Sometimes I just need to do my own thing", I spit out.

I leave her sitting there stunned.

I make my way to my bag to get out the piece of paper that I've been thinking about all day.

"Hi Mia. Is the Senator in?"

"She is."

"Well can I talk to her?", I question.

"No. You can't just whisk in here whenever you want."

I take a deep breath,"Can you please tell her it's important? It will only take a minute."

She sighs and gets up to knock on Jennifer's door. She peeps her head in and nods.

"Make it quick. She's busy."

"Thank you Mia."

**********
Jennifer's POV

I put my pen down when I see Rachel enter the room. She tries to shut the door behind her. "Leave it open", I instruct. 

She looks down and I can tell something is off with her.

"Here", she says handing me a piece of paper.

"What's this?"

She puts her arms out gripping  the two chairs in front of my desk, "My resignation letter."

I look it over and glance back up at her, "Are you being serious."

"Very."

I get up to close the door and I sit on my couch, "Come sit down and let's talk about this."

"I'm fine standing", she says looking sickly. 

"Rachel is everything ok? Why do you want to resign?"

She rolls her eyes, "I can't work here if i'm moving."

"Moving to where?", I ask shocked. 

"I got accepted into Yale's Law School program."

"Congratulations that's great, but I thought you wanted to continue with USC? Did you get your letter yet?", That night I went to her apartment we talked for hours. One of the things she told me is that her dream is to attend USC law school and become a policy attorney. She told me deep down she wants to do it because of her mother. So this is coming out of left field.