Chapter 93: The Ups And Downs Of Us

Rachel's POV

"I want to run the idea of having an informal town hall by David. I think she's at her best when she's freely speaking."

Avery nods her head, "Not a bad idea. My department has been working on-"

"Hi Avery, I'm sorry to interrupt. Is it possible to steal Rachel away?", Jenn says meeting eyes with me. 

"So yeah like we were saying", I say turning my attention back to Avery. 

"Rachel."

"What?",  I yell out loud enough to startle both Jenn and Avery.

Jenn and I stare at each other with the tension building by the second. "Avery give us the room",  Jenn says not breaking eye contact. 

Avery quickly walks away leaving us alone in the break room.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that again in front of anyone else. I don't care if it's Avery or the damn janitor."

"Or what Jenn? What are you going to do about it? Fire me?"

"No, but I'm sure you'd be ok with that if it meant you could work with the great almighty Professor Cook."

"You do not get to stand here and make this about me when you are the one that fucked up", I spit out. 

Someone opens the door but quickly leaves when they see Jenn. 

"I can't do this right, I'm too busy working on making you look good. Trying to make it look like you actually care about people. But now I'm questioning that. Nothing about you seems authentic right now."

**********

Jennifer's POV 

"The town hall is in a few days and I want to hear all the ideas you have. We've done a lot of these, but as a presidential candidate it's needs more. Planning department what do you have?"

Nina stands up, "The location is great we are now working on setting up the atmosphere inside. We have your slogan "We're stronger together" hanging from ceiling under where you'll stand."

"Very good thanks Nina."

"Diversity and Inclusion any ideas?", I say focusing on Rachel. 

She looks at her paper full of notes and looks back at me, "No I think any new rushed ideas would push a false narrative. We wouldn't want the voters to think you aren't what you say you are right?"

"Not surprising that she doesn't have anything prepared", Nina says under her breath but loud enough for us all to hear. 

I look at Rachel and she stares back sternly. 

"Ok let's move along."

Rachel's angry and rightfully so. I was so hellbent on getting revenge that I disregarded her feelings. 

After the meeting concludes I walk back to my office and work earnestly until Mia informs me Rachel went home for the rest of day sick. I know she's not sick, sick of me and my ups and downs maybe but I know I need to make things right between us. 

I make a quick stop before I show up to Rachel's place. I park my car further down the road afraid my government plates will be seen too often on her street. 

I take a deep breath before knocking on her door. Shortly after we meet eyes as she opens the door. She rolls her eyes and moves out of the way letting my walk in past her. 

"Mia tells me you went home sick."

"Yeah."

I feel her forehead, "Well you don't feel sick, but just in case you were I got you something." I hand her usual complicated order from Starbucks. 

She stares at me not budging. "Come on I know you wouldn't want it to go to waste."

She hesitates before she takes it out of my hand. She opens the straw and takes a sip, "surprisingly right" , she comments. 

"Yes because I listen and pay attention to you."

"Getting my Starbucks order correct means nothing. Am I supposed to just forgive you for what you did? You're going to have to try harder than that." 

I sigh, "Let's be adults here and talk about this Rachel."

"That's funny because you weren't being an adult when you pulled that stunt yesterday. It was so childish of you. You are the last person I would have expected that from."

"Baby I know. I was just so fed up with how Greg acted throughout the whole Adèle ordeal."

She cuts me off, "Trust me I know how bad he's hurt you, he's fucking scum. But you don't get to use me to get back at him. It's not fair. What if he had lashed out at me or something serious happened?"

"You're right Rachel, but you're wrong about one thing. I could never use someone that I love."

She stands there blankly. 

"You dared me to love you and that's exactly what I did", I walk over closer to her moving her hair behind her ear. "I know I promised I wouldn't look up the meaning of the flower arrangements and I didn't. You've watched Imagine Me & You so many times that I recognized the tiger lilies right away", I laugh with tears caught up in my eyes. "I love you Rachel. I have for awhile. I thought it was so cute that you were waiting until I was ready to hear it out of respect for me. That right there is why I love you."

"You love me but yet you showed me off to Greg like I was a rebound."

I step closer to her, "You're not a rebound. I wanted to show him I've moved on, to someone much better than him. Like I told you many months ago Rachel, our relationship is never going to be easy but I'm committed to making us work." I pause awhile looking in her eyes, "So what do you say?"

She looks down like she's thinking and then back in my eyes, "I say you're a wanker number 9." I chuckle and she gives me a kiss. "I love you Jennifer Abner. You don't know how long I wanted to say that."

I kiss her lips, "We really need to work on our communication."

"Let's start now", she says kissing me back and leading me to her bedroom. 

We fall on her bed and I get on top of her straddling her. Taking in her beauty and the passion in her eyes. We begin to slowly undress each other until we are completely free of restraints. I kiss her neck making her head fall back in pleasure. I push her back on the bed moving slowly down her body. Kissing every inch like I've never explored her before. Usually our sex is fast paced and incredibly intense, but tonight it's different. It's slower, more sensual, more meaningful if you will. 

I see tears form in Rachel's eyes and I can't tell if they are from pleasure or because of everything that has happened between us. I wipe her tears away and she smiles, "I love you" she says as we continue making love.