Chapter 36: Distance

Jennifer's POV

"Good Morning", Greg says moving my hair back to kiss my neck.

I roll my eyes and ignore him.

"Are you still giving me the silent treatment?"

I grab my purse and walk out the bedroom.

He grabs my arm, "Listen, I'm sorry I forgot. But your birthday is coming up, we can have a party and celebrate both."

I pull my arm from his grip, "The same party we have every year that you make about yourself? No thank you."

He laughs, "That's rich. I don't know when it's ever not about Jennifer Abner."

"When I'm with you it's never about me. That's when", I spit out.

My marriage is so volatile that daily spats have become a norm. Being around him lately makes my skin crawl. I've put all I can into us, but I don't think I can do it any longer. Leaving isn't an option for now, but I look forward to the day that I can finally free myself from him.

"Good Morning Senator"

"Hi Mia. What do I have going on today?", I ask while walking briskly to my office.

Mia rushes behind me trying to keep up, "Just one meeting, a few phone calls, and oh Rachel called out."

I stop dead in my tracks to make sure that I heard her correctly. Rachel has excellent attendance despite her being late twice. From her school records she has never missed a class even when she's sick."Did she give a reason?", I question.

"She said it was personal. From the attitude she gave me, I didn't pry."

Hmm. I know yesterday was the day of her graduation, seeing as I set aside time to watch the live stream of the ceremony. I was looking forward to seeing her today to tell her what a formidable job she did on her commencement speech. To my surprise she gave me a subtle mention.

"Ok, Thanks Mia", I say with a smile."Later today can you make sure Nina comes by my office?"

"Of course senator."

I retreat to my office for the rest of the day, taking several calls with various prominent figures. Since Trant has been elected to office things have been chaotic. Everyday the man tries to dismantle the work of the previous democratic administration, which in return directly impacts the lives of citizens. Hearing the stories of everyday people really puts why I do this job into perspective, and why it has always been a passion of mine. I'll be damned if I sit back and do nothing while I have a platform.

After my last call I exit my office to refill my water bottle, and I see Avery sitting down with her face buried in her phone.

"Hi Avery, how are you?"

She looks up from her phone, "Hi Senator, I'm doing ok."

I put my hand on her shoulder, "Congratulations on becoming a college graduate. You should be so proud, that's a huge accomplishment."

She flashes me the biggest smile, "Thanks. That means a lot coming from you". I always keep in mind what the interns say they want to learn on their first day, in order to track their progress. In almost a year, Avery has shown considerable growth in her interpersonal skills and confidence. Before she would shake like a leaf if I approached her, and now we can have a conversation without her being skittish. She noted me as one her role models which I find to be endearing. Hearing that I inspire future young leaders is humbling.