Chapter 109: Catch A Case

Nina's POV

"Good morning can I please speak to the magazine's Chief?"

"Can I ask who's calling?"

"I would like to remain anonymous for now."

"The chief is very busy. Unless you're calling from an agency or have media credentials-"

"I'm calling from the office of Senator Jennifer Abner with a story you aren't going to want to pass up on."

**********

Jennifer's POV

"Thank you for doing this Senator Abner, the girls are really looking forward to you speaking with them today."

"I can't wait to meet them, I heard they're nothing short of the highest achievers."

"Oh yes, all the girls have a 3.0 gpa or higher. They all take pride in their academics."

"That's fantastic."

Currently I'm at a high achieving, underfunded all-girls high school located in Compton, California. The school has been on my radar ever since I read an article about the school's debate team. High school is where I joined the debate team and that really kick started my interest in politics. Hearing the story of these young ladies resonated with me and I knew I had to meet them.

As I walk into the classroom they gasp with smiles spread across their faces.

"Good morning everyone, wow look at all these smiling faces."

"Don't be shy, say good morning to the Senator girls."

"Good morning Senator Abner."

I take a seat and smile,"It's my understanding that all of you are on the debate team?"

They nod their heads in unison.

"That's great. Can I ask what inspired you to join?"

No one raises their hand."If you're on the debate team I know you aren't shy", I joke. "How about you?", I ask to one of the girls who confidently hasn't broken eye contact.

"I joined because most of the time I'm always right but people don't want to listen."

I chuckle, "So how do you prove you're right?"

"I make a statement. Someone tries to counter my argument and then I provide them with the facts. They end up losing every time."

"That's one way to put it", I smile."You remind me of a friend of mine, she has that same mentality."

"Is your friend successful?"

"Yes she's successful, not as much as she'd like to be at this point in her life, but she's working on reaching her goals. I'm sure you're all just as hard on yourselves and in a way you have to be. You have to strive for excellence, you have to want this for yourselves, but I'm guessing you all know that or you wouldn't be the number one high school debate team in the state...I think you all deserve around of applause."

They join my lead. "From your principal here I heard you have been fundraising and working extra hard to raise money to go to the National Tournament of Champions debate."

They nod their heads.

"Well I want you to put all your focus into doing what you do best because you're going to Nationals!"