Chapter 127: The Job's Not Finished

Rachel's POV
Present day

Fuck! It's election night. You can probably already sense my disdain, seeing as 4 years ago a man whose beliefs conflict directly with mine became President of The United States.

In those 4 years I saw America go back to a time that I only read about in history books. Men stormed the streets with tiki torches, human rights were stripped away, families were separated, and attacks on women's rights to control their bodies were more momentous than ever.

Yeah 4 years ago you could call me naive seeing as America didn't "go back to how it was decades ago", it was always right in front of us. However, with a man as iniquitous as Duke Trant elected to office hate was shamefully embraced.

Since that election night I vowed to myself to use the degree I was pursuing to make a change.

I was 21 years old when I made that vow. Now, 4 years later I am pacing back and forth in front of the war room door of a candidate that I have put all my faith into.

My anxiety is at an all time high as my vision becomes blurred and my hearing becomes muffled. Minutes countdown until the American people find out which candidate we have elected. I hope we got it right this time.

"Hey, are you alright?", my best friend Olivia whispers as she nudges my arm to gain my attention.

"Yeah I'm fine, I was just thinking", I answer back.

I lied. I'm anything but fine.

You might be thinking to yourself wow she's patriotic. And to that I say fuck no, well let me clear this up a little bit. Yes, I love this county. Yes, I want to see change. However, I hold this election near and dear to my heart for another special reason.

I'm in love with the next potential President of The United States.

"Rachel, I know you put so much time into this campaign and you're worried. I get it, but it's out of everyone's hands at this point. Why don't we go get some fresh air and grab some coffee?", Olivia says.

Olivia is such a great friend, and I wish I could tell her what this night actually means to me but I can't.

"Liv, I appreciate what-". My sentence is cut short as the door to the room that I've been aimlessly pacing in front becomes ajar.

I nervously shift my focus to the floor, because I know if I glance up and see anything but a smile on her face what that will mean.

But despite my better judgement I look up and lock eyes with Jenn; or better known to the American public as Senator Jennifer Abner.

**********

Jennifer's POV
Earlier that day

Today is the day. The day that will determine if all my life's work and dedication has translated to all whom I've come across. The day that I promised my grandfather and Iris would come. The day that I will find out if I have been elected as The President of The United States of America.

"Senator are you ready for briefing?"

"Yes, I'll be right there."

I walk down the halls noticing that it's suspiciously quiet for what is guaranteed to be the busiest day the office has seen.

"Mia where is everyone?", I call out as I approach the conference room.

"Surprise!!!!!"

"Oh my gosh, you guys", I smile as I see the joyful faces of my staff surrounding me.

I look on the table to see a cake with a lego-like figure of me place on top.