Chapter 100: I Got The Eye Of The Tiger

Avery's POV

"Let's welcome Rachel to the team everyone", Senator Abner's campaign advisor calls out while the campaign team huddles around.

I watch from a distance as Rachel lights up from the applause. Meanwhile Senator Abner has a subtle smile on her face looking at Rachel.

"Now let's get to work everyone. We have much to do ahead of tonight's debate", David mentions.

Senator Abner places her hand on Rachel's shoulder and slyly gives her a look as she walks back to her office.

"She has to have something on the Senator. No way that bitch just keeps getting this lucky", Nina says creeping up behind me.

I turn around to face her, "Maybe the Senator just likes her job performance."

"Bullshit I'm smarter than her, I mean we're smarter than her. We also haven't made it a point to target and be an asshole to the Senator. Now that she makes a small adjustment to her bad attitude she's rewarded? This just doesn't sit right with me, it's not fair."

"Trust me I know it isn't", I say as I look over at Rachel who is hard at work taking instructions from David.

**********
Rachel's POV

"Rachel the Senator tells me you created the structure for her annual homeless count."

"That's correct."

"Great, I have your first task. I need you to compile the statistics so we have arguing points incase her proactiveness is called into question tonight."

"I already have it done. I rerun them periodically in case it ever comes up. It's located on the Z drive."

David gives me a look that tells me he's impressed,"Perfect. I knew this was going to be a good fit."

I give him a smile in return.

He turns away to look up at the the tv and freezes. "Someone turn that", he instructs.

"President Duke Trant has been impeached by the U.S. House. He is the 3rd President in history to be impeached."

Everyone's mouths fall open at the revelation, followed by a stream of claps. David's phone rings making him exit the office to find a quiet place to take the call. I take it upon myself to give Jenn a quick visit. I can't wait to see her reaction.

When I find her in her office she's standing up leaning against her desk with her eyes fixated on the tv.

"Look at the House following through. Do you think your buddies in the Senate will do the same?"

"Seeing that he holds majority I'll say it's a long shot but we'll see. Crazier things have happened. Everyone already knows where my vote is going."

"To impeach the peach."

She lets out a small chuckle.

"I can't wait to watch the debate tonight, even if I'll be doing so with my mother."

She gets a text notification on her phone, but she manages to multitask by still listening to me.

"She called me out of the blue last night and said she wants to have a mother daughter dinner to talk. I don't even know why I'm entertaining it, we're like 0 and 10 on family dinners. They always end in a disaster."

She puts her phone down to give me her full attention. "Can I say I love that you're being the bigger person in this. I know it's the last thing you want to do, but maybe with it just being the two of you you'll talk through your differences."