Chapter 50: Lying Not To Lose You

Rachel's POV

Today is my first day of law school. I've dreamed of this day from the moment I started taking an interest to law. I've always had a plan of how I want my life to turn out, and while I've had a few curve balls thrown my way lately, my education is one thing I know I know I can depend on. School is my safe heaven. It gives me the opportunity to learn, and it also grants me the chance to get out some of my competitiveness. 

I look at my class schedule to make sure I have the correct room number. I walk in the door and I look around the room observing. I feel a poke in back and I turn around to see a smiling Avery. 

"Hey", I say giving her a hug. 

"Ready?"

"Yep"

More students begin to flow in, and I recognize some familiar faces from undergrad classes.

Half past 8 the teacher struts in. She's a 40-something sharply dressed woman who demands attention as soon as she enters the room. Her presence alone gets everyone to refrain from talking. 

"Good morning everyone. I don't know what karma you all have to be assigned to my class, but you're here now so be ready. My name is Professor Cook and this is law and society or what I prefer to call it "How to out corrupt the corrupters". Unlike most of my other colleagues here I will not teach you how to read out of a book. I'll be teaching  you how to practice in a courtroom like a real lawyer."

Avery and I look over at each other raising our eyebrows. I turn my attention back to the front of the room where she stands, and I see her eyeing us. 

"You two", she says pointing to us. "What are your names?"

"Avery Weston", she responds with a slight tremble in her voice. 

"Rachel Taff"

"Let me guess. You're friends, or know each other from undergrad studies?", Professor Cook questions. 

"Something like that", I say looking over at Avery.

She nods, "Well Ms. Weston and Ms.Taff, let me tell you something. There are no friends in law. In here no one cares who you are and out there they certainty don't give a damn. Everyone is out for themselves. The quicker you learn that the better, So may I suggest other seating arrangements our next session?"

Avery nods her head in fear.

"Great, now if I can get back to my lesson."

For the remainder of the class I stay focused. Something tells me we're in for a hell of a ride.

**********

I'm getting dressed when I hear a knock on my door. Me and Avery are supposed to be going out to celebrate completing our first day of law school, but looking at the time she's early.

I open the door and I stand there frozen.

"Jenn? What are you doing here?", I ask confused. 

She looks around paranoid, hoping no one sees her.

"Come in", I say gesturing her inside. 

She looks down, "You wanted to talk."

"Yeah, but I didn't think you would finally come over today. Avery is on her way over here."

She shakes her head."I knew this was a bad idea", she says reaching for the door.

I put my hand over hers to stop her. "No stay, I'll call Avery and cancel."