Chapter 49: What Do I Really Want?

Jennifer's POV

I invited Lisa over for some much needed girl time. She needs a break from her parental duties, and I need a break from my thoughts. Rachel once again asked me to come over and talk, and I almost obliged. I fear that this wall that I've been trying to build between us is soon going to come crashing down.

"I heard Sarah is in the process of filing for divorce. They don't have a prenup so that should be interesting."

"No way", I say falling prey to Lisa's gossip.

"Yes", she says laughing.

I hear keys turn unlocking the door. "Speaking of divorce", Lisa says taking a sip of wine.

I give her a look,"Be nice."

Greg walks into the living room and observes us sitting on the couch, "Hi Lisa."

"Hi Greg", she says rolling her eyes.

"Jenn can I talk to you for a moment?", he asks as he walks towards the bedroom.

I look at Lisa and raise my eyebrows, "Excuse us."

I walk into the bedroom and Greg stands there with his hand on his hip, "What is she doing here?"

"I invited her."

"One day you'll learn she's not a real friend, she poisons your mind against me."

I laugh, sometimes I think he forgets I know him better than anyone else. 

He pulls my arm as I walk away, "I need to ask a favor."

"What is it this time? Money? You need me to look pretty on you arm?"

"50 thousand", he says looking away. 

"Have you lost your mind?"

"I'll double it back in no time."

"You know I don't like getting caught up in your shady business deals."

He steps closer to me, "I wouldn't ask if it wasn't important."

I roll my eyes.

"I'm giving you the decency by asking. Your name isn't the only one on the accounts", he says looking in my eyes. 

"Touch anything and you'll be looking at felony forgery charges."

"You won't do that. Your appearance means more to you than anything. You don't want that scandal", he says all smug.  

"I just might be willing to sacrifice it to finally get rid of you." 

He leaves and I rejoin Lisa in the living room.

"Uh oh. From the looks on both of your faces I don't think that went well", Lisa says observing the obvious tensions.

I pick up my abandoned glass on the table, bringing it to my lips. "With him does it ever?"

I don't even take what Greg says to value anymore. I've learned to brush him off and ignore him. There's no point in getting myself worked up over his idiocy.

"So are you just going to complain about it? Or do something about it? Have you taken my personal advice yet?"

I look down and don't respond.

"Jenn?"

I look up at her with a small smile creeping upon my lips.

"You tell me right now", she says hungry for whatever I'm keeping secret.

Madam President (EDITING)On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara