Chapter 96: Standout

Jennifer's POV

"Breaking News! The House of Representatives has made a formal inquiry for the impeachment of President Duke Trant. This comes in the wake of the whistleblower complaint alleging Trant's abuse of power. The House Intelligence committee is set to hold its first public hearing next week."

"Surprise Surprise! Woo the media is going to eat this up."

"As they should, this will be a permanent mark on his presidency. This will eat him alive everyday."

"No love lost between you and your admirer?"

"Hardly."

"Well thank you for taking the time out of your busy schedule to meet with me Senator."

"How long have we been friends Mike? You know I'll always make the time."

He chuckles,"I'm glad to hear that. Well let me just get straight to the point. You're doing very well in the race and I'm sure that's going to continue on. With that being said I'd like to throw my hat into the ring to be your understudy when that time comes."

I smile,"That's what I like about you Mike, you're straight to the point no nonsense."

"A Abner/Donahue ticket would shake things up in a good way. Our politics aren't that far off and let's be frank here, America isn't at the place for an all woman ticket."

I nod my head in agreement, "You've certainly given me something to think about."

"Then my job here is done", he winks.

"I'll be in touch, thanks for dropping by Mike."

"Hey how about we grab our spouses and get dinner soon. Leave all this work stuff in the office and just catch up."

"That sounds great. I'll see how Greg's schedule is and we'll set something up. Preferably somewhere other than the county club, we know how gossip travels around there."

"Oh don't I. Yes we'll go somewhere private."

"Great. See you soon."

As Michael walks out, David walks in. 

"Michael Donahue, Mr. moderate himself. What's he doing sniffing around here?"

"VP talk. It's way too early for that."

"Senator you don't give yourself enough credit. You are a standout. We only have two more debates until a candidate is chosen. We're down to the nitty-gritty, we keep doing what we're doing and you'll be amongst the top candidates heading into that democratic primary in a few months."

"Things are moving so fast", I say taking a deep breath.

"Time waits for no one. Now let's get you prepared for tonight's town hall."

**********

Rachel's POV

"Rach you've checked the numbers three times since we've been here I'm sure they're right."

"I know I just want to be 100% percent sure. I don't want to give her wrong information and then she looks stupid up there."

"Yeah right, you'd love getting another shot at sabotaging the Senator", Jacob teases.

"That's what she wants us to think Jake, but if you haven't noticed Rachel is team Senator now. I wonder what changed? The preferential treatment she gives her or Rachel's secret trips to her office. Or maybe their intense talks in the break room."