Chapter 55: There's No Going Back

Jennifer's POV

I wake up to see Rachel laying naked beside me. I look at the clock and it's 2 am. 

Fuck what have I gotten myself into? There's no going back from this. 

I rush to put my clothes on quickly and quietly trying not to wake her up. I take a look at her before leaving the room. She had a slight smile on her and she looks content. I hate to think I'll hurt her by my sudden departure, but what happened last night completely changes everything.

 I grab my purse and jacket from the living and softly close her front door. 

 Thank God I didn't have Frank drive me. I get in the car and I take a deep breath thinking about what happened. On my drive home I feel a wave of guilt take over me. 

I arrive home and I walk to my door, fumbling in my purse for my keys. I finally locate them and put them towards the lock to turn, but I drop them. I notice my hand shaking uncontrollably. 

When I finally get my bearings I walk in the house and go straight to the kitchen, feening for a glass of wine. I look in the fridge and there's none. I dig in my purse for my cigarettes and slide the back door open feeling the cold, fresh air hit my body. 

I put the cigarette to my mouth, struggling to light it. I try flicking the lighter, but it doesn't comply. "Fuck", I say right before it finally lights. 

I stand outside shivering, thinking about what I've done

I see the kitchen light turn on, and I look over to see Greg standing there looking at me. I sigh and finish my cigarette. 

I walk to the bedroom to get clothes to change into.

"You're home late", Greg says sitting on the side of the bed. 

"I was at the office", I say as I look over my shoulder. 

"Mmhmm", he says running his fingers through his hair. 

After I change, I get in bed and try my best to fall asleep. 

Hours later

I didn't get any sleep thinking about what happened last night. I shouldn't have crossed that line with Rachel. 

"You aren't going in today?", Greg questions as I sit on the couch. 

Chills run over my body as I hear my husband's voice, "No."

"Well since we both have a free day how about we grab lunch?"

"Yeah sure that sounds good", I say looking back at him. 

He takes me to one of our favorite lunch places and I can barely focus or eat. 

I see my phone light up and it's another text from Rachel. 

I lock my phone and turn it over so I don't see any notifications. I need to shake what happened out of my thoughts.

"Jenn", Greg says snapping me out of my head. "I need you to rethink about what I asked you. I really need the money."

"Ask one of your buddies", I say snapping at him. 

"I can't."

"Well it looks like you won't have the money then."

He sighs and rubs his beard.

"I though you actually wanted to have a nice lunch together, but you only brought me here to ask for money."

"You haven't heard one word I said since we sat down, so even if I did want to have a nice lunch, my wife's head is somewhere else."

I roll my eyes and dig in my wallet. I get up and throw enough money on the table to cover the bill and tip. 

********
Rachel's POV

I woke up this morning to find Jenn gone from my bed. Was I expecting a cuddle session or for her to stay for breakfast? No. But I didn't expect her to go off the grid. 

When I arrived at work I thought I would swing by her office to see her, but Mia told me she wouldn't be in. I'm not dumb,I know it's because of last night. I tried calling and texting her, and as you've probably guessed I'm met with nothing.

I warm my food up in the break room, and find an unoccupied table to sit at while I scroll through my phone. 

"Why the long face?", Nina says smugly.  

"Nina I don't have time for your petty bullshit today."

"Well I do. I believe in kicking a horse when it's down. I told Avery you were a waste of time", she says rolling her eyes. 

I put my hand up, about to tell her off but I think of how Jenn would react when she came back to work and found out that I beat Nina's ass in the break room. I'm guessing she wouldn't be too pleased, and that would also guarantee I would get fired. So I take a deep breath and try to let it go. 

"So what are you going to try to make your move now?", I question.

She scoffs,"I don't know what you're talking about."

"I know a closet case when I see one, and I know you have eyes for my ex."

She laughs.

Avery walks in and she looks at me before turning her attention towards Nina. "Are you ready?", Avery says touching her arm. 

Yeah Nina says smiling.

They sit a few tables over, laughing and talking. Nina makes sure her fake laughs are extra loud to rub it in. 

I roll my eyes and try to call Jenn. I know she's probably not going to answer, but it's worth a shot. 

The phone rings and just as it's about to ring to voicemail I hear her voice. 

"Hello." 

"Hi, you answered", I say feeling relieved. 

"Rachel I really can't talk. We'll talk later ok?", she says like she's trying to convince herself. 

"Alright. Are you ok?"

"I'm fine", she says hanging up.

I look down at my phone confused.

Do you think Jenn is playing with Rachel's emotions? Now that they've crossed the line how do you think things will be between the two? Comment, vote, let me know what you're feeling about the story.