Chapter 99: I'm In This For The Long Haul

Rachel's POV

"Let's get another round of shots", Olivia screams over the music.

"Liv we've had enough alcohol this past week and a half to last our entire lives. Shouldn't we ease up a bit?"

She tilts her head giving me a look. I struggle to keep a straight face and we all burst out in laughter.

"Another round coming up", Kennedy says walking over to the bar.

"You both are enablers", I laugh.

"That may be so, but it's not everyday our best friend graduates from law school. We'll celebrate this until we feel like it."

I wrap my arm around her neck pulling her close and planting a kiss on her cheek. "Have I ever told you you're my favorite person?"

"Judging from those diamonds around your neck I'd say you're lying", she smiles. "One of these days you're going to tell us who she is."

"What I miss?", Kennedy says sitting back down with a tray of shots.

"Just the usual, Rach brushing me off when I ask who she's dating."

"Fine I'll budge. I'm sorry you had to find out this way", I say grabbing Olivia's hand. "But I'm dating your mother."

Kennedy and I burst out laughing at Olivia's expression."Very funny, honestly I wouldn't put it past you though", she says shoving me.

"Your mom does look great for her age Liv", Kennedy says still laughing.

"Which means I will too when I get older. Hopefully I won't need any touch ups for a few more years", Olivia says feeling around her face.

"We're 24 Liv, I think you're fine", I say pulling her hands away.

"You know who looks really good for her age? Your boss."

Kennedy nods, "That's true."

"Vendetta aside you've had to notice how hot she is", Olivia says smiling.

"She's ok I guess."

"Ok? when she shook my hand I got lost in her stare. I hate politics, but if her and her husband  become our first family I might be interested in listening. He's hot too, I'd do him."

"Disgusting, your taste in men just continues to go downhill, it's incredible really."

She laughs as I notice my phone vibrate.

"Heart emoji uh oh it must be the girlfriend", Kennedy says.

"Keeping you on a short leash is she? Tell her it's girls night", Olivia yells out as I get up to excuse myself.

I find a semi quiet place outside the bar to pick up. "Hey babe."

"Hi how are you?"

"I'm good I'm just out with the girls. How was your flight?"

"Longer than I would have liked, spending time with my counterparts is always draining. So much so that I'm going to leave the unpacking for tomorrow."

"Do you want alone time to unwind or should I head that way when I'm done here?"

"I've been cooped up in a hotel room by myself for a week, I think I could use the company."

"That's what I like to hear", I say smiling.

"Speaking of company. I know it's short notice but my evening is free tomorrow if you wanted to arrange for dinner with your family."