Doggy Style

You want a dog, but Ben isn't too keen on the idea...

***********************************************************************************************************************

"But he'll behave, I promise! Look at him!!" Ben sighed as he looked at a picture of the puppy Labrador Retriever you saw today. As soon as he looked you in the eyes, you knew you had to have him!

"[Y/N], we are not getting a dog. I am far too busy with work and so are you. We'll been gone too much to take care of him." You started to pout, stomp your foot on the ground (a normal thing you did around him when you want something), and whined, "But Benny! Please! I promise I will take care of him!" Usually, your childish acts worked...but not all the time. "I said no and that's final! Jesus, I feel like I'm talking to a child!" 

You didn't mean to. You really didn't mean to, but it just sort of slipped out when you told him, "Well, at least a dog doesn't leave home eight months out of the year!" That did it. Ben turned sharply at you and asked through gritted teeth, "What did you just say?" You didn't want to deal with this right now, so you turned and started to go upstairs with tears threatening to fall. It's true you wanted a dog because you felt alone when Ben was gone and it would be nice to have a companion around to keep you company. You actually had a chance to meet the little guy and play with him. You were completely in love after the first few seconds! 

You made it into your room and got under the covers before the tears started making their way down. You heard Ben's footsteps make their way up the stairs two at a time. He opened the door to the bedroom, ready for a fight, but then he saw you. He saw you crying. He hated it when you cried. Seeing you like this made him realize that this whole dog situation was a lot bigger than you were making it out to be. He made his way over to the bed and got under the covers on his side. You were facing away from him, but you did feel the bed dip and his strong arms wrap around you. He kissed the back of your head a few times and softly asked, "Why do you want a dog?"

Sniffling back a few times, you told him, "You're just gone all the time. I miss you and I'm so alone. I just want someone here with me, you know?" It pained Ben to hear you say that. He knew his job got in the way of things, but he never knew how you felt about it. "Look at me?" He asked. You turned in his arms to meet his icy blue orbs staring sadly at you. He wiped your tears away with his thumbs and said, "I never knew you felt that way. I'm sorry, honey." You snuggled up against him and he held you tightly. After a moment of him rubbing your back and kissing your head, he asked, "Where did you find him?"

***

The next day, you were happily pulling Ben through a mall and practically skipping to the pet shop there. Once you entered the shop, you said hi to the clerk and asked if you could see the puppy. He brought out the same little guy you were playing with yesterday and set him in your arms. You turned to Ben with a huge grin on your face and he couldn't help but laugh. He looked at the puppy and you could tell he was experiencing the same feelings you were. 

He took the puppy from you and craddled him as if he were a precious gem. "So you're the one that stole my girl's heart," he said to the big-eyed, adorable Lab. "Do you think you can take care of her while I'm away?" The puppy barked and licked Ben's face. "I'll take that as a yes," he chuckled. He looked back to you and saw you had your hand over your heart, and looking at the two adoringly. He didn't say anything to you, instead he looked to the clerk and asked, "When can we take him home?" You squealed and hugged Ben and the puppy. The puppy was wagging it's tail and getting all excited.

The clerk explained to you and Ben that you couldn't take the pup home for a week. Ben didn't ask any questions, he just handed the dog to you and whiped out his wallet. You were almost in tears because you were so happy! Once he was done paying, he walked up to you and said, "He's all yours." You brought Ben down for a kiss, then said, "Ours." Ben went to kiss you again, but then the puppy barked and started licking his face again. Ben gave him a "are you serious?" look and said, "You are going to be a piece of work."