Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

"Daddy?" Your little four-year-old girl Charlotte (or Charlie for short) asked your husband, Benedict. He was lying on the couch, watching Christmas specials when she walked in from her nap. You were out being Santa and buying her and Ben's gifts, as well as some of your friends.

Ben turned his gaze from  the TV, to your little girl and asked, "Yeah, baby?" She went up to the couch and climbed up and on to his chest. Ben situated her to where she was lying on his chest. It was their usual way of being together. 

"When's Santa coming?" She asked, while picking at his light blue Pink Floyd shirt. He smiled and ran his hand up and down her back. "Soon, Honey," he told her. "It's the nineteenth. Can you tell me how many days until Christmas?" She started counting her little fingers, then stopping, then counting again. Finally, she shouted, "FIVE!" Ben let out a roaring laugh and said, "Six, darling." Her little face scrunched up in dissapointment. 

Charlie rested her chin on Ben's chest and looked at him with her big eyes. They could make him crumble down to his knees and obey her every command. 

"Daddy?" 

Ben smiled. "Yes?" 

"Will Santa bring lots of presents this year?" Again, she was picking at his shirt. It's a thing she did when she was nervous or tired. He could tell she was both. 

"I don't know. Have you been a good girl this year?" 

Charlie immediately shot up, her short legs barley just barely hanging off his sides, as she excitedly told him, "Mommy says I have! She-she let me put a star on my calander today!" Ben gasped, "Really?! Well, if she says you have, then I guess Santa will be bringing you lots of gifts!" 

Oh, he knew he would pay for that one later...

Charlie started bouncing in excitement. "I'm going to tell mommy!" 

Ben first stopped her from bouncing, in fear she might break a rib or two, then told her, "I'm not so sure we should tell mummy. Let's just keep this between you and daddy, okay?"

"Okay, daddy!"

***

You came home tired, cold, and exhausted with both hands filled with bags. Before Ben or Charlie could know you were home, you ran upstairs and hid them where you knew those two wouldn't look. After you came down, you walked into the living room and suddenly felt warm at what you were seeing. Ben was half asleep, yet still rubbing soothing circles on a sleeping Charlie's back. You smiled and knelt down next to Ben. He opened his eyes and smiled at you.

"Hey, sweetheart," he whispered. "Successful shopping day?" You nodded, while brushing back Charlie's hair from her face. Her eyes fluttered open and she smiled at you.

"Hi, mommy," she sleepily mumbled. 

"Hi, sweetie," you cooed. "Have a fun day with daddy?" She nodded at you with a wide grin. Ben lightly chuckled and kissed her head. 

"Guess what, mommy?" She asked, getting a little more awake now.

"What?" You asked. She sat up on Ben's stomach and told you, "Daddy said Santa's going to bring me lots and lots of presents this year!"

"Oh reeeally?" You asked, while looking over at Ben, who was looking up at the ceiling to purposefully avoid your eye contact. "Well, I'm sure daddy will make sure of that. Won't you, sweetie?" He slowly turned his head back to meet your gaze and said, "Of course, honey."

Charlie cheered and jumpped off of Ben. She ran into her room, chanting, "I'm getting lots of presents! I'm getting lots of presents!"

You looked back over to Ben, who told you, "I have a feeling Harrods and Toys R Us are calling my name..."

"So is the gas tank," you tell him, while putting the car keys in his hand.