Missed Opportunity

You and Tom Hiddleston have just gotten a divorce. What happens when a certain Benedict Cumberbatch finds out you're on the market...?

Taking a break from the longer one to do this!

*************************************************************************

"Thanks for letting me stay here," you gratefully tell your best friend, who was letting you stay with her until you could find a place of your own.

You've just gotten through a nasty divorce with no one other than Tom Hiddleston. You had been married for 5 years until things started going downhill. You wanted a family, he wanted to focus on work. You wanted a family, he had to focus on movie promos. You wanted a family, he didn't.

Needless to say, you opted out and he barely put up a fight.

Now, you're just trying to move on. Your friends and family are standing by to support you in any way and you're ready to just get back out there. No need to dwell on something that was never going to work in the first place.

"You are more than welcome," your friend told you. "Now, I have a late shift tonight so I can pick dinner up on the way home if that's okay? Unless you've got plans?"

You laughed and said, "I just got divorced, I'm not bouncing off anyone yet." You're friend rolled their eyes and told you, "Well all you've been talking about is "getting back out there" and "getting things right again", so excuse me if I think you'll be bouncing on someone tonight."

A little later in the afternoon, you decided to go for a walk because it was a beautiful day with perfect weather. While you were walking, you stopped by a café to grab some coffee and some lunch.

As you were waiting for your order, reading your book, you felt a tall presence beside you. Before you could see who it was, a silky, baritone voice asked, "[Y/N]?"

You turned your head to the familiar voice and smiled. "Hey, Ben!" It was Benedict Cumberbatch. Of course you've met him several times when you were with Tom and he was always so charming and incredibly sweet to you. Actaully, he was there the night you met Tom, but didn't meet him until some time later. 

"May I?" He asked, pointing to the seat in front of you. You nodded and he sat down. "How are you?" He asked. "Tom told me about the divorce. I'm so sorry." You shrugged and told him, "Honestly, I saw it coming." He looked at you curiously. "Really?" He asked. "But you both always seemed happy."

"He wasn't the only actor," you said while tapping your nose. "Besides, it's over now. I'm actually kind of excited to be on the market again. Maybe I'll do it right this time."

Ben smiled warmly at you. "Do you mind me asking what right you'll be looking for?" You shook your head and told him, "Someone who doesn't put their work before family. Someone who wants a family."

"I want a family," he almost shouted a little too quickly. You raised your eyebrows in amusement as he started clearing his throat and telling you, "I-I mean, I've just...I've always imagined having a family..." With you, he thought to himself. "So, I can sympathize."

You're lunch came before you could say anything and Ben asked the waiter, "Can you put her lunch on my bill, please? Thank you." Your eyes widened. "Ben, I can't have you do that." He simply waved you off, then said, "It's my pleasure. Really."

You both ended up talking for almost two hours. You were laughing and smiling more than you have in the past five years. When Ben sadly announced that he had to leave for a reading, you quickly asked, "Do you have any plans afterwards?"