Chapter 106: Out Of Touch

Start from the beginning

"Yeah. She's had a lot on her mind lately. I don't think she's been sleeping much."

"Rachel I know she's your friend, but she could barely look me in the eyes just now. I don't know how much I trust her. I hadn't thought about it before, but what if she's the culprit."

"That's not new, you've always intimidated her. And she wouldn't do that to me."

"She also knows how much we care about each other, and both incidents happened on Valentine's Day. Originally I thought Greg, but maybe I guessed the wrong ex. I just get bad vibes from her."

"Jenn are you being serious?"

"Do you remember how vindictive she was when she found out about us?"

"Yeah but she was going through an episode and she wasn't on meds back then."

Jenn takes off her glasses and sighs, "Just keep your guard up."

"Yes boss",I say annoyed. "And what's up with the last minute change of plans? I thought I was going to Wisconsin with the rest of the campaign team."

"I need you here helping to get stuff ready for South Carolina and Super Tuesday. Plus the Wisconsin trip is going to be real quick."

"I know but I thought it would be nice to see where you come from. Your family is going to the rally right?"

"Yes they are,  you aren't missing out on anything trust me... I recall you once upon a time making fun of me and my small town."

"True, but as circumstances have changed I think it would be cool to see."

"Next time I promise. I have to go my flight leaves at 3 and I doubt if Greg is packed and ready."

"Ok, have fun in your county little town."

She leans in kissing my lips."Yee haw", I say in response.

She smiles, "I'll call you tonight. Try to keep a low profile while I'm away."

**********

Jennifer's POV

I understand that Rachel doesn't want to think the worst of her friend, but history tells me I can't completely trust Avery. I've expressed my concerns to Rachel in the past but she brushes it off like I'm overreacting. For my sake I hope I am.

I pull up to the house rushing in to pack the remainder of my bags.

"Greg are you ready?"

He doesn't reply.

"Greg?"

I walk into his room to see him laughing on the phone. "I can't wait to see you too. I just have a quick business trip and then I'm all yours."

I roll my eyes as he purposely continues his conversation as I stand in the doorway.

"Look Poppy I have to go, but send me some pictures . My business trip is going to be really dry and boring. I won't see anything as pretty as you for a couple of days...haha yeah. Ok I'll talk to you soon."

He gets up and starts zipping up his suitcase.

"Poppy? Let me guess a Brit this time?"

"Yep. Hot, flexible, brains, the whole package."

"Whatever Greg, let's try to make this trip pleasant. I already have enough to deal with between the campaign and my codependent family."

"Is that what you're calling it now? Excuse them for actually wanting to be a family and not just an afterthought to you. They've been calling me non stop looking for you, but what have you been doing? Thinking about yourself as always."