Chapter 109: A New Life On Batuu

Once Miah and I arrived on Batuu, I gave her my bag of credits. She then gave me one last smile before taking off from the docking bay. As soon as she left, I made my way out of the spaceport and into the town. I walked around seeing several shops, a marketplace, and a cantina throughout the Black Spire Outpost flied with giant black trees. Looks like I'll have to find some work here. I made my way through the outpost, and it wasn't long until I found a potential place to work at. In the marketplace, I came across a shop with the sign that read: Kat Saka's Kettle.

I walked into the shop to find a woman with tanned skin. She wore an apron over her long green sleeved tunic with black pants. The woman wore a head scarf that covered her hair. The woman wore a warm smile.

"Bright suns!" She exclaimed. "Welcome to Kat Saka's Kettle! What can I help you with?"

"I'm actually looking for a job." I mentioned.

Her eyes then lit up. "Excellent! I've been searching for another worker. Are you any good with fixing droids by any chance?"

I nodded. "As a matter of fact, I'm a mechanic."

She clasped her hands together. "Wonderful! I'm Kat Saka."

"My name's Veda Naberrie." I informed her.

I extended out a hand towards her, but she lunged towards me, enveloping me in a tight hug. Well, she seems very friendly. Once we pulled away from the hug, Kat showed me the ropes. I worked in a back room of the shop, fixing all different types of droids. As soon as the three suns set, it was time to leave to leave the shop. I didn't know where to go, but fortunately Kat recommended Peka, a small village just a hour away from the Black Spire Outpost by transport. So I took Kat's advice, making my way towards Peka. After reaching the village, I looked around in awe.

Despite the village being small and simple, the scenery was beautiful and near a river. There were several tents, huts, and log cabins around the village along with giant trees, where I heard birds chirping, giant spires that had built in apartments, several rocks covered with golden lichen, and golden grains that were around the edge of the village. As soon as I approached the first log cabin, I spotted a middle aged man with a fishing rod standing outside the cabin along with his children, a girl around the age of ten and a boy around the age of thirteen.

"Rising moons." The man greeted.

"Uh, hello." I replied, unsure of their lingo.

"Don't think I've seen you around here before." The man mentioned. "Are you new?"

"Yeah, I'm new to Batuu." I informed him. "...I don't have a place to stay."

"Well, you're in luck. I know a man who would love to take you into his log cabin as his guest." The man commented.

"That would be great. Where does this man live?" I inquired.

"On the outskirts of this community." The man explained. "Here, I'll take you to him."

He then turned towards his children. "Lera, Olin, go inside, I've got to take this nice lady to Boccran."

I furrowed my brows. Boccran? A spark of hope was ignited within me. Could it be Alotren using the alias of our grandfather Boccran? I mentally shook my head. I must not get my hopes up, this man probably just shares the same name as my late grandfather.

"Yes father!" Lera and Olin exclaimed.

They then rushed inside the cabin. Once they were inside, the man turned back around to face me. "I'm sorry, what's your name?"

"Veda Naberrie." I replied.

"Nice to meet ya, Veda. I'm Beren Jakin. Now, let's get you to Boccran's." Beren advised.