Chapter 91: Anaxes

Weeks went by. Currently, I was on the planet Anaxes. Master Windu, Areria, Anakin, and I led a two pronged assault in the air and on the ground for many weeks. But unfortunately, we kept losing. And if we continued, we will lose control of on Anaxes. Currently Master Windu, Areria, Anakin, and I were in the control room. We were around a holotable, showing a hologram of the planet and of the battlefield.

"The droids have overrun our main production facility. It won't be long before the Separatists take Anaxes, compromising our entire reserve fleet." Master Windu mentioned.

At that moment, Rex and Cody approached us. Cody spoke up at once. "Pardon the interruption, General, but Rex here has a good theory on why we keep, uh losing."

"Please, Captain." Master Windu urged.

"The droid army uses analytics to predict our strategy. The first time we use a tactic, it's very effective. The next, less so. In fact, the more we use a certain tactic, the less effective it becomes." Rex explained. "They learn our tendencies and use that data against us. To counter them, we're constantly working out ways to vary our attack."

"But the losses we are experiencing on Anaxes are not commonplace." Areria pointed out.

Rex nodded. "Exactly. The counterattacks are so specific, it's my strategy the droids know, my playbook."

I felt a pang of guilt at his words. "I hope this is not any of my doing. While I was brainwashed, I gave away intel to Dooku and the Separatists."

Anakin placed a hand on my shoulder. "It wasn't your fault, Storm. You couldn't have known until it was too late."

"I agree with General Skywalker. There's no point in feeling guilty, General Ca'ana." Rex added. "You weren't in control of yourself."

"Yeah, you can't blame yourself for something you weren't control of." Areria chimed in.

"Skywalker, Skikea, and Captain Rex are right. Dooku took advantage of the bond between you two." Master Windu pointed out. "You aren't to blame for this."

Cody then cleared his throat before continuing with the matter at hand. "My concern is that Rex is one of our best. If the droids can learn to defeat him, we may all be vulnerable."

Areria raised an eyebrow. "What do you propose?"

"Let Rex and me take a small squad behind enemy lines. There's a Separatist Cyber Center which relays all battlefield intel to their command ship." Cody advised. "If we're going to find anything, it will be there."

"If you think it will help turn this fight around, get going." Master Windu confirmed.

"Thank you, General." Rex replied.

"Rex, is there anything else?" Anakin questioned, sounding worried.

Rex shook his head. "No, General."

"Master Windu, allow me to join them. Areria can stay behind to keep our troops in place." I offered.

"Very well. You may go with them, Storm." Master Windu said.

With that, Cody, Rex, and I left. Once it was time to go, Cody, Jesse, Kix, and I made our way to the barracks. Cody and I entered, while Jesse and Kix remained outside. Inside the barrack, we found Rex sitting on a bed with a picture of Cody, Fives, Echo, and him. I felt a twinge of sorrow. I still missed Echo. And part of me denied that he was dead.

"Come on, Rex. Time to move out." Cody informed him.

"Fives, Echo, and before that, Hevy. There's so many troopers gone." Rex mentioned.