𝐓𝐡𝐞 𝐋𝐚𝐬𝐭 𝐨𝐟 𝐔𝐬 𝐏𝐭-𝟐

Carol's POV:

Soft snores left Wanda's mouth as she slept on the bed. I had everything we were going to need for our trip ready I just needed her. Tony and Pepper slept in the other room next to us. After talking and eating last night everyone was worn out. I gently shook Wanda and her eyes fluttered open.

"Time to go Maximoff," I whispered before leaving the room.

I heard the bedsprings move and Tony stepped out of his room. "Leaving?" He asked.

"Yeah remember our deal Tony," I snarled at him.

"I know, be safe out there," he said giving me aside smile.

"You too. There's some meat in the fridge that should last you guys at least a couple of weeks or months if you don't eat it all at once." I said.

He chuckled, "Don't worry about us, Carol. You guys make it to The Haven and we'll see what happens from there."

I nodded and soon after the door swung open Wanda in her winter clothes and a brown beanie covering her head.

"Ready?" I asked.

She nodded and gave me a small smile. "Take care of Pepper," she said giving Tony a smile.

"You guys take care as well," Tony said.

I gave Wanda her bow and arrows and a bookbag containing some food and some clothing. We walked outside and got one of our horses which she named Ireland. I hopped on and she quickly got on after putting her hands around me.

We gently started descending from the cabin to the small towns. I felt Wanda lay her head on my back as we went down through the once town. Grass took over the road and vines stretched up the buildings and homes.

It was extremely quiet as we walked only the sound of wind and birds chirping in the distance.

"I love this," Wanda said.

"The world-ending apocalypse zombie type of thing?" I questioned confused.

She giggled, "No silly."

If giggles could kill I would've been dead a long time ago.

"This," she pointed to the vines that wrapped the crumbling building, "mother nature reclaiming what was once hers. Sometimes I think bad shit needs to happen for a better place."

"That's deep Wands," I said as we continued our walk.

Her head laid back down on my back and it was silent again. We traveled for hours.

"Carol, it's getting late, should we stop and rest?" Wanda complained for the 100th time today.

"Yeah... I'm getting tired," I replied.

I stopped at an abandoned theater and tied Ireland so he wouldn't leave.

"Let me make sure this place is secure and then we'll eat," I told Wanda. She stayed on Ireland as I walked into the building. After sweeping the entire place for infected I walked outside seeing Wanda holding a flower.

She turned at me and smiled. She gently pushed the purple flower into my blond hair. She stood up on her tippy toes and kissed my cheek before heading inside to theater. Thank god it was night time and she couldn't see the bright red that burned my cheeks. I brushed it off as she was only doing a nice friend thing.

I walked in behind her seeing her take her jacket off and sit on the couch.

"You okay?" I asked.

"Yeah, I'm good," she replied looking around at her surroundings.

"Get some sleep... I'll take first watch," I stated.

I started heading out the door and locked it behind me. The soft wind hits my face as I walk through the tore towns. Leaves crunched under my feet as I walked into a broken-down store. I grabbed a couple of snacks and water bottles. I stopped what I was doing when I saw two bracelets in a small basket. Both had small charms on them with one having a sun and another the moon. A small smile tugged my lips as I grabbed them and put them in my pocket. Grabbing my bag I walked back to the theater. I banged on the door letting Wanda know I was back. The door swung open and I quickly walked in as she shut the door locking it.

"Find anything?" She asked.

"Just a couple of snacks and this," I said pulling the bracelets out and showing her. I grab the one with the sun on it and clipped it around her small wrist.

"It's beautiful... Thank you, Carol," she said giving me a smile. She clipped mine on her fingers lingering a little longer than they should've. She pulled away, a slight blush covering her cheeks.

"Can you hold me?" Wanda asked.

I was thrown off by the question but complied and laid down next to her. I held her in my arms as she buried her face in my chest.

"We should've stayed in the cabin," I mumbled into her hair. Luckily she was asleep and didn't hear me. I closed my eyes hoping to sleep but instead, I stayed up watching her and keeping her close.

Before I knew it there were birds chirping outside. I groaned as I opened my eyes seeing sunlight melt into the room through the boarded windows. I turned my head to see Wanda gone. Immediately, anxiety and panic shot through me.

"Wanda! Wanda!" I yelled. I grabbed my gun and ran to the door seeing it cracked open.

"Wanda! Wanda, where are you?!" I yelled spinning a circle. Terror crept its way into me as I feared the worst of what's happened to her.

"WANDA!" I screamed again feeling my vocal cords get sore.

"Hey! Hey! I'm here!" Wanda said running towards me with her bow and arrow.

"What the fuck Wanda?!" I yelled to her as she got closer to me.

"You were asleep and I wanted to explore for a bit! I'm sorry!" She yelled backstopping in front of me.

I was terrified I didn't even know I had tears running down my cheeks. She could see the fear and sadness in my eyes as she got closer to me. I grabbed her pulling her into a tight embrace. She quickly returned it and held me tight.

"Don't do that again," I said burying my face in her shoulder.

"I promise I won't." She mumbled against me.

We held each other for a couple more minutes before we pulled away. "I saw some posters up saying the Haven is couple miles South. We should get moving," Wanda said putting her hands on her hips.

"Uhh, yeah let me get my stuff," I sniffled back.