Chapter 99: I'm In This For The Long Haul

Start from the beginning

"Oh you still want to go through with that?"

"Rachel we don't have to do this if it's going to make you uncomfortable. That's the last thing I want."

"It's not that, in a perfect world I'd be able to introduce you as my girlfriend and have a nice dinner with my family, but-"

"I know, and that's why I suggested this dinner under other pretenses.It gives us all a chance to celebrate you, even if I am just your boss for the night."

"And I'm thankful for that, it's just my mom...She's a lot. It would just be my parents and us, my brother and sister are out of town."

"I'm in a relationship with her daughter, I'm pretty sure I know what I'm in for", she jokes. "When you come over tonight you can decide. Now don't let me keep you, go have fun with your friends."

"Ok I'll see you in a bit."

I hang up and walk back over to to Liv and Kennedy.

"Girlfriend summonsing you home?"

"Shut up", I say playfully shoving Liv. "Remember that dinner I told you guys about?"

"The one with Senator and your family?"

"Yeah I'm not all that keen about it."

"Why not? The Senator is going to take time out of her busy schedule to take you and your family to some fancy dinner. If I were you I'd get the steak and lobster", Kennedy says joking.

"She hates the woman that's why Ken."

"It's not that, my girlfriend wants to go and you know how my parents are. I'm scared they will say or do something that will make her run for the hills."

"No way they meet her before you do."

"Liv."

"I'm joking, well kind of. It's nice your girlfriend wants to meet your family. Your family loves you Rach, despite all that has happened. If you told them how much this means to you and to not say anything off the wall I think they will listen to that and be on their best behavior. Plus the Senator will be there so I'm sure they'll be fine. At the end of the day it really only matters what this girl thinks of you, and what we think of her of course.

"You guys are right, it will be fine. You know I tend over think stuff sometimes", I say picking up my drink from the table.

"You think?"

"Now that we're done with our daily counseling session let's toast to our sister here who is going to become some fancy schmancy attorney and inevitably bail us out of trouble", Kennedy says lifting her drink.

"To Rachel."

**********

I lean in the doorway as I wait for Jenn to open the door. When she does a smile spreads across my face.

"Hey", I say planting a kiss on her lips. She tilt her head back and licks her lips, "I hope you didn't drive here, you taste like jungle juice minus the juice."

I laugh, "No I had a Uber drop me a few houses down."

"Good. I see the partying hasn't died down any", she says brushing my hair out of my face.

"And not going to if I leave it up to my friends. They think you're hot by the way."

She raises her eyebrow.