Romano x Male!Reader (Request)

(Y/n) reached up toward the highest shelf in his kitchen, trying to reach the spices he needed to make dinner. Just a little further...

"What are you doing?" (Y/n) started in surprise, almost falling off of the stool he was standing on.

"Lovino, don't sneak up on me like that!" The shorter man pulled back before reaching one more time and finally managing to snag the bottle of spices he needed. "And get out of the kitchen, I told you I wanted to make dinner by myself this time."

"I wan't watch you cook, caro?"

"I want it to be a surprise though, so get out."

"Even though I can already tell you're making a carbonara?" (Y/n) flushed in embarrassment before realizing that all of his ingredients were out on the counter for Lovino to see.

"Yes, now get out." (Y/n) walked over and struggled to push his husband out of the kitchen. Lovino watched him with a fond expression, then relented and went into the living room while (Y/n) went back to cooking. I can do this by myself and I don't need anyone's help.

Minutes later, Lovino heard the sound of metal clattering against metal. "Are you okay in there?"

"Just fine!" (Y/n) quickly grabbed the one bowl he needed before putting the other on the counter. He could deal with that later, he just had to keep cooking.

Then he cut his finger, burned himself on the pot, and messed up the sauce at least four times. How in the hell do you heat up eggs without cooking them? This is impossible. Why does Italian cooking have to be so-

"Caro." A pair of arms wrapped around him and (Y/n) looked up at Lovino, who was wearing a warm smile on his face. Even if (Y/n) could tell that he was about to start laughing. "Deep breaths, caro. It's just pasta."

"Hmph. Why do you have to come from a culture with such complicated recipes? Why couldn't I have married and Englishman? Then I would have no problem cooking for you."

Lovino pinched his cheek and grinned. "Let me help."

"But-"

"I'm hungry and you're wasting food. Not to mention your pot is about to boil over."

(Y/n) broke out of the hug and ran over to the stove, turning off the burner before quickly running over to the sink and dumping all the noodles into a strainer. "Well maybe it wouldn't have boiled over if you weren't here, restraining me and blocking my sight."

Lovino just smirked at him, the infuriating grin that he loved when it was aimed at anyone but himself. "Cook the vegetables while I make the sauce for you."

"No. I wanna do this all by myself." The smoke alarm chose that exact moment to go off, and (Y/n) ran over to the oven while Lovino opened a window and apologized to all the people in neighboring apartments.

As soon as he went back into the kitchen, he glared at (Y/n) until the shorter man silently relented and let him help him cook the meal. Luckily, the bacon that had been cooking wasn't all burnt and dinner was quickly finished.

After dinner, (Y/n) went to go sulk on the couch, and Lovino stared at him before leaving the house so he could be on his own. (Y/n) was still moping on the couch by himself when Lovino returned, standing in the doorway until he looked over.

His perfect, infuriatingly kind and beautiful husband had brought home his favorite flavor of gelato and was holding two spoons. (Y/n) wordlessly extended his hands in a grabbing motion, and Lovino sat down next to him before settling his head in his lap and feeding him the frozen treat.

"So, are you going to tell me why you got so upset over dinner?"

(Y/n) just hummed as he ate another spoonful of gelato. "You're going to think I'm even more of a child than you already do."

"Caro, I wouldn't get married to a child. I already have mio fratellino to deal with." He put both spoons back in the tub of gelato and cradled his husband's head in his hands. "What's wrong?"

(Y/n) looked away and pouted. "I just wanted to make you a nice meal by myself since you do so much for me. I just feel kind of useless around here since I work has slowed down."

Lovino kissed his worries away with a smile. "Idiot. You're not useless. You're just bored."

"I know, but... I just feel like a kid when I walk past you in the office wanting to spend time with you only to remember that you have work. Not to mention how you're holding me right now."

Lovino smiled softly. "Forgive me caro. It's just nice to be taller than someone."

(Y/n) finally smiled. "Why are all of your friends walking trees?"

He rolled his eyes. "I ask myself that everyday."

"It's not fair that everyone I know is taller than me."

Lovino ruffled his hair. "Calm down, caro. I promise, I don't see you as a child. Even if you do act like one sometimes. And I'm not annoyed by you either. I'm not going anywhere."

"You kind of can't, since everything is closed and Feliciano is in Colorado, so his house is locked up."

"Yep. So will you please stop pouting and feel better?"

"Fine. But I still want gelato."

"So do I."