•2

23rd June, 2020

Writer.

"...So do you, agree to this Nikah?"

The Imam asked from the other side of the veil where Mayrah sat, clad in a simple yet elegant and glamorous wine gown.

She was emotionally staring at her mehndi adorned, red bangles filled hands and more specifically at her engagement ring in the fourth finger of her left hand.

"Response, Mayrah."

Mayrah gritted her teeth, giving it another thought. What she was going to do would make her the most selfish lover and even after the only thing she ever dreamt, that was, to be Isaa's bride, she was getting forced to agree to so.

The Imam asked the same question again but she yet, remained quiet. Droplets of tears seeping down her eyes as if they were doing injustice to her.

"Plea..se...no."
A breathey whisper escaped her lips as she looked at her mother, pleading her to make it stop.

"What no, Mayrah?"
Isaa came walking in, a sly smile playing in his lips, mocking his prey.

"Out, Isaa. She'll do it."
His mother glared at him, wanting to slap him with all her might, pissed at him dominating aura that made Mayrah a sobbing mess.

"A minute Ammi."
He sat opposite to Mayrah in the tea table in front of her, his head bowed down to have a look at her lowered tearful face.

"Eyes up."
A soft voice of request made her look up.

Isaa smiled, "Can we ask her again?"

The Imam repeated the same question for the 5th of the time, answering which would complete their Nikah.

Their gazes arrested at each other, Isaa was urging her to reply while she was preparing herself to whole-heartedly accept her fate and go on with it.

"I do."

"I do."

"I do."

"And that's how, you stop calling me Bhai."
Isaa chuckled leaning in to her ear, just as he did, a tight slap landed on his shoulder from his mother.

"Mind our presence and her tears."

Isaa sighed mouthing sorry before he stood up and leaned in again planting a kiss on Mayrah's head, then walked out.

"Now I seriously don't care. He'll bear the consequences, ruthless jerk."
Mayrah shouted as she was brought to Isaa's room after the function by her sister and Bhabi.

"That's like it, tears don't worth it, Bhabi."
Isaa's sister, Naira adviced instantly earning a kick in her leg at the mention of Bhabi, while they were best friends of same age few hours back.

"I'm known by my own name, not your Bhai's wife."

"What? You're my cousin later before he's my brother, Bhabi."

"How could I possibly marry your brother even knowing how arrogant his sister is, so he will be too."
She shrieked frustratingly took off all the bangles from her hand.