6 - Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 6
Word Count: 5098

Niklaus was sitting in a chair, reading some random poetry from a book. He turned the page of the book to the next poem. Klaus read the title and saw that the poem was called 'Fruit of the Poisoned Tree'.

Klaus glanced up at Elijah, who sat in a chair opposite him, reading a book too. There was also a woman laid on the table, dead, with blood covering her neck and wrists.

Rebekah then walked in to the room, glancing between Klaus and Elijah.

"So this is what you do the first time we're back together as a family? Vampire book club?" Rebekah spoke.

"Reading edifies the mind, sister." Klaus mumbled, looking away from Elijah and back down at his book full of interesting and complex poetry. "Isn't that right, Elijah?"

"Yes, that's quite right, Niklaus." Elijah responded, not looking up from his book.

"And what's this business?" Rebekah asked, staring down at the dead girl that lay on the table.

"This is a peace offering." Elijah stated, barely looking over the top of his book at the girl. Elijah then finally looked up at Rebekah.

"I presumed, after so much time desiccating in a coffin, that my brother might be a bit peckish." Klaus said.

"So I explained to my little brother that forgiveness cannot be bought." Elijah finished the statement that Klaus started. "I'd simply prefer to see a change in behaviour that indicates contrition and personal growth, not this nonsense."

"I couldn't very well let her go to waste, could I?" Klaus rhetorically questioned.

"Well, I suppose I'll fetch the rubbish bin because she's staining a two hundred year old carpet." Rebekah pointed out. Elijah looked over at the girl again and her leftover blood from her neck was indeed leaking down onto the carpet from where her head hung off of the table.

"Oh, yes..." Elijah murmured.

As Rebekah left the room, Klaus finally started reading his poem. Fruit of the Poisoned Tree.

Fruit of the Poisoned Tree

I was angry with my friend;
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe;
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I watered it in fears,
Night and morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with smiles,
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine.

And into my garden stole,
When the night had veiled the pole:
In the morning glad I see,
My foe outstretched beneath the tree.

---

Avery was chatting with Hayley in her room, when she put a hand on her stomach and licked her lips.

"I'm hungry, do you think they have any delicious food downstairs?" Avery suddenly asked her twin sister, who shrugged.

"I don't know, I can go check. I can make you something if you want." Hayley offered. "Craving anything? I've heard pregnancy cravings can be pretty weird."

Avery chuckled.

"Yeah, they can be. But it's okay, I'll go get something. I'll be back soon." Avery replied. Hayley nodded and Avery exited the room and went downstairs. She opened the cupboard and grabbed a glass.