8 - The Other Girl in New Orleans

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 8
Word Count: 2236

Freya and Elijah were in the upstairs study, where Freya was in the middle of setting up a magical binding circle made of salt and herbs to trap Tristan, who had been chained to a chair. Inside the circle were Elder Futhark runes, including ingwaz and algiz. Once the circle was complete, Freya looked up at Elijah and sighed.

"The spell is complete. Tristan cannot cross the boundary of his own will, but we can enter and leave as we please. I took the liberty of injecting him with hibiscus and mugwort to counteract any vervain in his system. All you have to do is compel him to give you the longitude of Rebekah's location."

"He says he's immune." Elijah murmured.

"I'll find some other way to make him talk." Freya shrugged, walking over to an end table. She set the jar of salt on it before picking up an old-fashioned looking dagger with a thick, wavy-cut blade.

"Will you?" Elijah walked over to Freya and held out his hand, and she sighed again before reluctantly giving him the dagger.

"You're still upset I tortured Aurora without your permission,"

"Oh, Freya. I'm obscenely fond of torture." Elijah replied, amused. "But yes, when I'm entertaining, I like to be the one to choose precisely when and how we violate the guests." He turned the dagger in his hand so that he was holding the blade with the handle facing toward Freya before he sat it down on the table.

"Fine. How should we proceed?" Freya asked.

"Devastate his body, infiltrate the mind, and steal the information we need." Elijah listed. "To that end, I've invited a friend."

Just then, Avery, who had both Hope and Miracle balanced on her hips, walked through the doorway to join them. At the sight of his two nieces, Elijah gave Avery a look of confusion.

"Unless they're violently teething, I don't recommend this as a daycare..."

"Jack's gone, and I don't know if he's coming back." Avery sighed. "I also really don't want to talk about it. So, which one of you will take the girls while I take out my anger on this pompous dick."

Elijah seemed shocked by the news that Avery and Jackson's relationship was strained, but after a moment, he gave Freya a significant look. Understanding what he was trying to communicate, Freya turned to Hope and Miracle, and smiled before taking both of them out of Avery's arms.

"Come here, baby girls."

Freya gave Avery a sympathetic smile before taking Hope and Miracle into one of the other rooms, leaving Elijah and Avery alone with Tristan. Elijah looked at Avery as he walked toward the door as well.

"Bon appetit!"

Avery snarled at Tristan before baring her fangs and hybrid eyes and biting him viciously on the neck, causing Tristan to awaken and scream in pain. 

---

Upstairs in the study, Avery had just finished giving Tristan at least a half dozen hybrid bites over his neck and arms as he screamed in pain. She wiped the blood from her mouth and backed away from him, groaning in annoyance.

"Don't be such a baby, or I'll give you something to really cry about."

Tristan continued to pant for breath as he replied.

"You mistake me, milady. I cry out only in grief. I was so struck by your beauty when I saw you at the gala. And now, after this affront to my person, I'll be forced to pluck those lovely chocolate eyes from your perfectly shaped skull."