3 - Haunter of Ruins

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 3
Word Count: 2695

Avery strolled into Hope and Miracle's room the next morning to see them awake, playing with their toys and laughing together on the floor.

"Girls? Let's head outside, my loves." Avery spoke.

"Why? We're having fun!" Hope whined.

"Because, little miss..." Avery walked over and pulled a laughing Hope to her feet, fondly smiling. "You both are about to meet your family." She then pulled Miracle to her feet.

"That's today?" Miracle squealed, jumping excitedly.

"Yep." Avery laughed. "Let's go."

Leading an excited Miracle and a shy Hope outside, the three of them came face to face with the Mikaelson clan. All of the Mikaelsons stood up when they saw the kids, shocked at how much they'd grown and how beautiful they'd both become.

"Everybody, look who's awake." Avery smiled, stroking Hope's and Miracle's hair softly.

"H-Hello..." Miracle stuttered. Her previous excitement had worn off the second that she saw her father, and her shyness had overtaken.

"Hello..." Klaus replied quietly.

"Mom, can we go play in the garden?" Hope asked, shyly looking up at Avery.

"Yeah. Sure." Avery nodded, smiling down at her. So, Hope grabbed Miracle's hand and pulled her down the steps of the porch, into the garden.

---

"What terrible things did you tell them?" Klaus wondered, pacing on the porch, upset that his daughters didn't want to stay and talk to him.

"I told them that you're a hybrid, like me. I also told them that you're very old. Other than that, they're both seven. We can wait to share the gory details." Avery stated.

"Well, someone must have disparaged me!" Klaus exclaimed. "Perhaps that crone, Mary..."

"Stop." Avery rolled her eyes. "I've spent five years protecting those two from everything, including all the horror stories floating around about you. They don't know your history. What they do know is that you protect your family, no matter what."

"And yet, they fear me..." Klaus whispered, hurt.

"Miracle is a sensitive kid, whereas Hope is just shy to everyone she meets." Avery informed. "You were their fairy tale prince, Klaus. And now you're real. You have a lot to live up to."

---

Avery walked into the shed to reveal a tied up Keelin, who had the device to extract her werewolf venom strapped over her face. Avery walked over and took the device off.

"I'm sorry. I know it hurts."

"Yeah, but you're just trying to help your family. I get it. Looks like they're really suffering." Keelin mentioned. "Did their mimosas go flat at brunch?"

"You're all cut up. Why aren't you healing?" Avery muttered.

"You know, I never really bought into that whole wolf pack mentality. I thought there was something wrong with me. But I'm a model citizen compared to you." Keelin said. "A werewolf queen that betrays her own kind for a bunch of vampires, it's disgusting."

"Why is her mask off?" Freya suddenly came hurrying into the shed. "We need as much venom as we can get!"

"She needed a break!" Avery defended.

"She'll live." Freya scoffed. "If we don't get enough venom to make more of the cure, my brothers won't be so fortunate."

"Do what you need to do. I can't breathe in here." Avery then stormed out.