2 - You Hung the Moon

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 2
Word Count: 3087

Elijah, holding both Hope and Miracle in his arms, was desperately making his way through the Bayou in search of Avery.

"Avery! AVERY!"

Elijah, looking concerned, continued walking through the woods, before a familiar voice called out from behind him. It was Hayley.

"Where is my sister?!"

Elijah span on his heel and turned to see both Hayley and Jackson. They both wore clothes after they'd stolen some from campers.

"Where the hell is my wife?" Jackson growled.

---

Avery, still trapped in Davina's magic circle in one of the tombs, was holding the blanket wrapped around her up with one hand while she furiously beat against the magical boundary with the other and growled angrily.

Finally, Davina came back into the room with her arms full of supplies, looking calmly at Avery, who was glaring furiously at her

"Davina, let me out of here right now, or I swear I will kill you!"

Davina rolled her eyes and tossed a shirt and jeans at her before holding up a blood bag.

"You can try. Or, we can have a polite conversation."

"You magically kidnapped me on the one night that I can see my daughters." Avery reminded angrily. "Do not talk to me about 'polite'!"

"I drew you here to help you!" Davina argued.

"Elijah asked you months ago to break the curse, and you said no." Avery scoffed.

"The Regent of witches can't be seen doing favors for the Mikaelsons." Davina paused before tossing the blood bag onto the floor of the circle. "...But, maybe we can help each other."

Avery, too hungry to argue any farther, knelt down and started chugging the blood from the bag as quickly as she could, squeezing it so hard that it got all over her hands.

"Look, I have access to the witch ancestors. I can channel the power of the one who created the spell used to curse you. You can be free, Avery." Davina stated. Avery stood to her feet and licked the blood from her fingers, clearly interested in what Davina was proposing but still angry at the circumstances that led them there.

"Under your terms, I'm guessing. Spill."

"There's a witch in the 9th Ward who hates that I'm Regent." Davina began after hesitating for a short moment. "She tried to kill me. If I retaliate, I'm starting a civil war, and I don't want to do that."

Avery, realizing where Davina was going with this, stared at her.

"Fine. Just tell me who you want dead."

---

In the tomb, Avery was using an athame to cut a lock of hair from her head, which she then handed to Davina. She had also apparently given her some of her blood, as Davina had a bowl of it sitting on the nearby table, along with a half dozen lit white candles and one solitary new candle that remained unlit. She took Avery's hair and walked toward the table to begin.

"You're completely cloaked. No magic will be able to track you. The witch's name is Kara Nguyen. She runs a café, Chim Lac, in the lower 9th Ward. She'll be there before dawn." Davina explained. She took Avery's hair and broke it apart before dropping it in pieces into the bowl of blood. She then took the blood and hair mixture and poured it over the new unlit candle. "As long as the candle burns, your curse won't be active."