21 - The Battle of New Orleans

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 21
Word Count: 4129

Klaus was scaling the rooftops of various buildings in the French Quarter when Elijah called him from the compound, while Avery and Hayley impatiently stood next to him.

"Yes, brother, what is it?"

"It appears our wolves have gone astray, brother."

"They should have been back hours ago." Avery cut in in the background.

"We need to find them." Hayley added. Elijah held a finger up to silence them. Klaus continued on the other side of the phone.

"Well, that might be a bit tricky. You see, we've located their car on a back road in the middle of nowhere. I suspect they've been shanghai'd."

"And you didn't feel the need to share this information?"

"It was my intention to present you with a problem only after I had found an appropriate solution."

"Do enlighten us."

"I'm closing in on it as we speak. The only person who would be bold enough to snatch my wolf allies is the one who has the most to lose."

"Marcel..."

"No, he'll kill them!" Avery exclaimed in the background to Elijah. Klaus continued on the other side of the phone.

"Genevieve assures me that Marcel has procured a cloaking spell. The only witch who will aid Marcel is Davina. I just need to get one last bit of leverage before I pay her a visit."

From the rooftop, Klaus looked down below and watched as Josh carried a duffle bag to his car that was parked on the street. Josh popped the trunk to his car to put away his stuff. Klaus smirked.

"And there it is." Then, Klaus hung up and jumped down behind Josh, which startled him. "Hello, Joshua." Klaus grabbed Josh and bit him on the neck before Josh could react.

---

Avery was pacing around the compound, worrying about their current problems. Hayley and Genevieve had stayed behind to look after Avery.

"Elijah should have called by now!" Avery exclaimed.

"Worrying isn't going to help." Genevieve pointed out.

"She's right, Ave. You should sit down, try to keep calm." Hayley instructed.

"What are you, now, magician slash zen-life-coach?" Avery frowns at Genevieve.

"The treatment of pregnant women has advanced remarkably since I was a nurse, but even I know high blood pressure is bad for you, and your babies." Genevieve explained. Avery sat down. "Especially now that you're so close to term."

"I hate this. I feel completely useless." Avery groaned in frustration.

"Don't you get it? You're the point of all this. Klaus and Elijah running all over town?" Genevieve sighed. "It's all for you. I'm a bit envious."

"Great. Lucky me." Avery rolled her eyes.

"Is there anything I can get you?" Genevieve offered.

"How about some moonlight rings?" Avery smiled.

"The spell can't be performed until the full moon reaches its apex." Genevieve chuckled. "And, of course, I need the stones, which will be here soon enough. Have a little faith!"

Avery wasn't convinced, so she got up and walked away.

---

Klaus and Elijah arrived at the docks and found Jackson, who was still bound to his chair and who was left with a black hood over his head. However, Marcel and Diego were both gone. Jackson flinched when he was found, until he realized he was being rescued. Klaus grabbed Jackson's face in his hand.