5 - The Axeman's Letter

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 5
Word Count: 1796

Davina, wearing a formal black dress, was being fussed over by several witches in one of the tombs. One of them was twisting her hair into a mature up-do, while others were preparing her for the event. In front of Davina stood Avery and Jackson, both of whom looked confused as to why they were there. Davina held two different-colored thick ribbons in her hands as she addressed the two Crescent wolves.

"I have to pick one — orange or purple?"

"Did you seriously call us here to play Fashion Police?" Jackson spoke incredulously. Davina became overwhelmed by one of the witches, who was holding a round incense ball hanging from a chain so the smoke wafted toward her.

"Okay, I know this is sacred oil, but can we please not do that right now?"

The witches left Davina to conduct her business privately, and she called out to them as they leave.

"Thank you!" Davina then turned her attention back to Avery and Jackson as she tied the orange ribbon around her throat. "Sorry. Thanks for coming."

"Like we had a choice, Davina." Avery rolled her eyes. "Either we do your bidding, or you blow out that candle of yours and you turn us back into wolves. So, we're pretty much your slaves."

At the sight of how overwhelmed Davina looked, Jackson smiled at Avery and tried to politely improve the tension in the room.

"Now, Ave, come on. This is the deal we made. Let's let her say her piece, hmm?" Jackson then turned back to Davina. "What do you want?"

"This is my first Cadeau as Regent. Since I represent the city, the covens have to pay tribute to me, and I throw them a party." Davina stated nervously. "I need them to respect me, but this is the first public event since..."

Davina, too guilty about her actions to continue, trailed off, and Avery finished her sentence for her.

"...Since you had me kill those witches in the 9th Ward?"

Davina nodded once, visibly uncomfortable.

"I have a feeling it might not go so well, especially since Van Nguyen blames me for what happened to his mom. He vowed to get back at me. Actually, he said he would erase me. I mean, who even talks like that?" Davina scoffed.

"So, you want us to be your bodyguards?" Avery muttered. Davina stood to her feet, and judging by her increasingly hysterical tone of voice, it was clear that her nerves were fraying from the stress of the Fête de Cadeau festivities.

"Look, I know that you're not exactly thrilled with me right now, but if I die, that candle's magic dies, too. And then there's nothing stopping you from changing back into wolves."

Jackson sighed before turning to Avery, who seemed unhappy with the plan.

"Well, why don't you stay with Davina, and I will check out the crowd?" Jackson then left to do just that, and Davina looked at Hayley expectantly.

"I'll keep you alive." Avery sighed, before wrinkling her nose at Davina's outfit. "But, if you wear that awful orange scarf, you'll wish that I hadn't."

Davina rolled her eyes and reluctantly removed the blood-orange ribbon from around her throat.

---

The witches of all nine covens had gathered in front of the Lycée, each with an animal in hand to offer to Davina as Regent. Davina was standing at the top of the steps of the Lycée, looking nervous and uncomfortable with the lavender ribbon around her neck.