6 - Wheel Inside the Wheel

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 6
Word Count: 2364

Avery was looking out over the French Quarter from the balcony of the nursery when she was suddenly startled by the sounds of tortured screaming. She frowned and returned inside, following the noise to Klaus' bedroom, where Klaus had blood splattered all over his hands and face and was washing up in his sink.

"Oh. So, I see your interrogation went well?" Avery spoke. Klaus looked at himself in the mirror while he washed up.

"Eh, it turns out these witches are delicate creatures. No matter!" Klaus said. "I suspected my mother had Elijah captive."

"Great. Let's go find them!" Avery exclaimed. Klaus shook his head no as he walked toward her to face her.

"Esther is too powerful. She won't easily be found. I need to draw her out."

He was about to shut the sliding doors that separated his room from the nursery when Avery stopped him.

"Wait, where are you going?"

"I'm going to change my shirt, and then I'm going to find my brother." Klaus smiled patronizingly and was about to shut the doors again when Avery once again stopped him.

"Klaus, let me come with you!"

Klaus sighed deeply and walked toward her again.

"I know you want to help, Avery, but you can't. My mother is wretched. She will target you in order to thwart me, and I can't very well save Elijah if I'm busy saving you, can I?"

Avery rolled her eyes, but remained silent, so Klaus finally shut the doors and prepared his plans, leaving her to consider her options.

---

Gia had just returned to Marcel's apartment, where Marcel was waiting for her.

"I did like you said — I kept a low profile, went all over the city. There's no sign of Elijah anywhere."

"Yeah, the humans I know said the same thing. Maybe Klaus is having better luck?" Marcel shrugged. Avery and Hayley walked into the apartment and interrupted their conversation.

"No, he's not, which sucks, considering how low the bar is around here." Avery muttered. Marcel and Gia looked at her in confusion. "Listen, you two up for a rescue mission?"

"Are we going after Elijah?" Gia wondered excitedly.

"Nope. That's all Klaus." Hayley sighed. "We're talking about Oliver."

"Now, he and Elijah were fighting the werewolves together." Avery added. "We've heard that Oliver's been captured and is about to be executed. Now, look — if we can save Oliver, then we might be able to find out where Elijah is."

"'Kay, so what do you want from us?" Marcel wondered.

"Just a little distraction. Esther's son, Finn, he's the one that's controlling the werewolves. If you can keep him out of the way, we can go get Ollie myself." Hayley stated, gesturing to herself and Avery.

The Marshall twins turned to leave, but Marcel vamp-sped around them and blocked their way.

"You can't take on all those wolves by yourself. You'll get killed, and then I'll get killed for letting it happen."

"We're not going in alone. The werewolves may be answering to the witches, but they still have an Alpha. We just have to find him." Avery told.

---

Avery and Hayley was wandering through a more remote part of the Bayou, looking around, when they came upon a beat-up trailer in the middle of a wooden area. Suddenly, they heard a creaking sound and quickly turned. Avery caught two arrows in midair that had been shot by an unidentified man behind her. Annoyed, she dropped the arrows on the ground.