1 - Rebirth

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 1
Word Count: 4537

At Rebekah's home, Rebekah rocked Miracle and Hope in a rocking chair in the nursery while she told the baby girls a fairy tale about their lives.

"Once upon a time, there was a majestic king who lived with his noble brother in a colourful kingdom where music and art were celebrated. The king did not foresee having children, but he lived in an enchanted land where all things were possible. In time, he was blessed with two beautiful baby daughters, for whom he wished only peace and happiness."

Hope and Miracle both cooed at Rebekah happily, and Rebekah smiled at them before continuing the story.

"Still, the king had demons who pursued him. There was a ruthless beast who wanted to take the kingdom for her own. Armed with a pack of untamed creatures, she drove the other magical beings from the land. And, there was a wicked sorceress with enchanted stones that weakened the king every full moon. Seeing the shadow his enemies cast upon his home, the king was driven to send his beloved princesses away, convincing all who remained that they were forever lost. The king, in his sorrow, turned away from the world. The castle closed its doors, and the kingdom fell. Some say that the only light that shines in the castle illuminates the shadow of the once mighty king in the room meant for his children. But, as the ruthless beasts took rule over the fallen king's realm, little did they know that he and his brother would not rest until their enemies were vanquished. For they believed that one day, they would heal their kingdom and bring their princesses home so that they might live happily ever after."

Rebekah laid Hope and Miracle in their separate cribs before turning out the lights and leaving them to sleep for the evening.

---

Klaus was furiously trying to stretch a canvas over a wooden frame for a painting. When he tore through the canvas, he angrily threw it all across the room, just as Elijah returned from his meeting.

Elijah picked up the canvas Klaus threw and examined it.

"I suppose we shall have to call this your 'white period'.

"I'm missing a crucial color in my palette — that of my enemies' blood." Klaus said angrily.

"Well, I recommend a Venetian red, with a dash of rust..." Elijah's joke caused Klaus to completely lose his temper.

"It's been months! I've adhered to our plan: sit and do nothing, sell our grief. And now, my children are safely away, and another full moon is upon us — another night of pathetic weakness as the moonlight rings steal my strength!"

Elijah gave Klaus a sympathetic look, and Klaus calmed down slightly, though he was still clearly upset.

"The inertia is killing me. I need to act. I-I need — I need to spill blood." Klaus muttered quietly.

"Well, then, you'll be pleased to know that I've located the last of the twelve rings forged with your blood." Elijah mentioned. Klaus perked up slightly.

"Then, it's time!"

"And none too soon. I'm concerned about Avery." Elijah informed. Klaus visibly tensed up at the mention of Avery and started sorting through his art as an excuse to turn away from Elijah.

"She looks well enough."

"She looks no better than you, brother. Now, if the two of you would treat each other as more than just... passing acquaintances--"

"--She has you to help her." Klaus interrupted Elijah.

"Sadly, like the father of her child, she prefers to fight her demons alone." Elijah sighed. "I don't think even Hayley can help her out of this one..."