7 - Chasing the Devil's Tail

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 7
Word Count: 2729

Elijah lay on his bed in the compound, still asleep as he was when he was rescued. He was breathing erratically, covered in a thin sheen of sweat, and his muscles were tense, as though he was being overwhelmed by fear. Klaus stood over him and talked to him.

"I know you are locked in battle, however deep in your mind our mother has set the stage. Hear my voice." Elijah twitched anxiously in his sleep. Klaus continued, hopeful. "Our mother thinks she will win because she has left you alone, but you are not alone. Let me in." Klaus put one hand on his head, and one hand on his chest, hoping to gain entry into Elijah's mind. Elijah's body went rigid as though he'd been shocked and Elijah's muscles began to seize and spasm painfully. "Let me help end whatever torment she has forced upon you."

Klaus' nose began to bleed, and he got glimpses of the dreams Elijah had been having. Klaus groaned in pain as he continued to try to break through, but he was quickly ripped off of Elijah by Avery.

"What are you doing?"

Klaus, startled, panted in an attempt to catch his breath as he wiped the blood from his nose.

"I'm trying to enter Elijah's thoughts to wake him." He gestured to Elijah, who was still sleeping fitfully. "Esther's locked me out."

Avery walked over to Elijah, noticing a flower petal-shaped wound on his neck.

"Is this rash a side effect of the witchy acid trip he's on?"

Klaus frowned and returned to Elijah's bedside to examine the wound more carefully.

"I haven't seen this since I was a child. Mikael would return home from battle more blindly temperamental than usual, and our mother would use the petals of a rare merlock orchid to put him to sleep. She would mend his mind with a spell, and then wake him with the roots of the same plant." Klaus turned to Avery, looking hopeful. "If she has access to it now, then maybe it also grows in the Bayou. You stay here with your wolves and mind the fort."

"I'd rather rip your mother's head off." Avery rolled her eyes. Klaus looked at her seriously.

"Stay clear of her. I mean it, Avery. She already got to you once. What would happen if Elijah were to wake and find you a victim of her madness?"

"I won't go after her. I promise." Avery muttered reluctantly. Klaus looked at her for a moment before turning and leaving. Avery turned back toward Elijah and approached the bed to talk to him. "I've learned a few things from your mother. I won't go after her. I'll go after everything that she loves."

---

It is barely sunrise, and Jackson was preparing Oliver's body for his funeral. He wrapped it up in white sheet before dousing him in alcohol and putting him in a small boat. Jackson took a swig of whiskey and pushed the boat out into the lake in the Bayou, lighting it on fire with a lighter to give Oliver a traditional Viking funeral.

Later, Olivers remains were still smoking on the lake while Jackson drank on the nearby dock. Suddenly, Avery and Hayley arrived and stood behind him.

"I'm so sorry, Jack." Avery whispered. After a moment, Jackson angrily jumped to his feet.

"This is bull, guys! Crescent tradition says you have a funeral at dawn, and no one is here! That loyalty... loyalty's gone."

Jackson went to walk away, but Hayley stopped him.

"We're standing around moping over Ollie's body when there's a war to be fought!"

"Yeah, we understand that you have to grieve, Jack. You waited for us, so we'll do the same for you. But, our people need their Alpha." Avery added. She gently took the bottle of whiskey out of his hands before putting a comforting hand on his shoulder.