11 - Brotherhood of the Damned

Book: Marshall Twins
Chapter 11
Word Count: 1173

Aiden was meeting with Hayley, Avery, and Jackson near Jackson's trailer, where he dropped nearly a dozen moonlight rings into a bowl on the picnic table.

"Well, that's the last of them! Everyone out here is officially ring-free."

"And better off." Avery sighed.

"Easy for you to say!" Aiden exclaimed. "You're a hybrid. I'm back to turning every single full moon. And, if the wolves who are loyal to Finn come back here, they're gonna rip right through us. So, I gotta ask — when is this wedding?"

"Ten days. After that, Avery's power is your power. The full moon won't control you anymore. Spread the word — any wolf who wants in, needs to be here to bear witness to the wedding."

"Yeah, I can do that." Aiden replied. "What are you guys gonna do?"

"Ave and I are going to meet an Elder!" Jackson informed. Avery looked at him in confusion, and Jackson turned to her to briefly explain what they were doing. "We need an old-school Crescent wolf to conduct the wedding. Then, there are the trials." Avery looked even more alarmed, but Jackson just laughed. "Don't worry! We say a few oaths, do some trust falls, smoke a little blue calamus root out of a peace pipe. Piece of cake!"

"Well, good luck with that!" Aiden chuckled.

"We'll say you later, Ave." Hayley hugged Avery, who nodded and happily hugged back. Hayley and Aiden then left. Avery turned to Jackson.

"Any idea where we can find an Elder?"

"Well, that depends!" Jackson smiled. "You got any interest in meeting my grandma?"

Avery good-naturedly rolled her eyes and smiled at him as they headed off to find their Elder.

---

Avery and Jackson were walking through the woods of the Bayou on their way to meet Jackson's grandmother. While they walked, Avery sighed dramatically.

"Are we hiking to Baton Rouge?"

"Just a little bit farther." Jackson chuckled. "You nervous?"

"I'm not nervous. Although I should be. She is your grandmother." Avery said.

"Huh. She usually likes the girls I bring home." Jackson smiled. Avery feigned offence.

"Ohhh! Really? Hmm. Exactly how many girls have you brought to meet her?"

"No, I've never brought anyone to meet her." Jackson laughed. Avery looks surprised. "So, you've gotta make a good impression, since she's got no one crazy to compare you with."

"I am great with old people. And babies. It's just the in-between that I suck at." Avery told.

Suddenly, Jackson's grandmother, Mary, appeared out of nowhere and joined them, holding a basket full of herbs and plants in her hand.

"Cute as all this is, y'all are late!"

"Grandma Mary!" He gave his grandmother a big hug and kiss on the cheek before turning to Avery. "This is Avery."

"Mary, it's so nice to meet you--"

"You can turn off your old-people charm now." Mary interrupted. Avery's smile fell, and she looked uncomfortable. "The two of you are late, and we need to get started."

"Right." Avery cleared her throat. "Yes, we have pre-marital rituals to attend to. Which are what, exactly?"

"Fasting, purification, the Rite of Divulgement, to name a few." Mary lasted.

"The Rite of what?" Avery asked, worried.

"Oh, it's simple." Mary shrugged. "You speak the truth, he speaks the truth, secrets are cleansed, everyone's happy."

Avery looked at Jackson in alarm and gulped nervously.

"What do you mean, secrets are cleansed?"

"The two Alphas smoke the root of the blue calamus flower. It links your hearts and minds together. The ceremony won't take if there are lies separating you. This way, there are none. It's the most important ritual apart from the wedding ceremony itself." Mary exclaimed, smiling and patting Avery on the arm affectionately. "Hope you don't have too many skeletons in your closet!" Mary started to lead them to her home, and Jackson started to follow her, though Avery stayed where she was.

"I'm not doing that."

Mary and Jackson both looked at her in confusion, and Avery turned to them.

"I'm sorry... I can't."

She looks horrified as she turned and rushed away, leaving Jackson and his grandmother alone in the woods.

---

Avery was alone in the woods when Jackson finally caught up with her.

"Ave! Ave? Avery, wait!"

"I can't do it, Jack." Avery sighed.

"You're not the only one who has stuff they'd rather not talk about!" Jackson acclaimed. Avery hesitated.

"Some of my secrets aren't mine to tell..."

"Maybe a little honesty is a good thing!" Jackson pointed out. .

"Jack, I live with the Original family. In that family, sometimes honesty... can get you killed." Avery mentioned. Jackson seemed completely stunned by that response, but he quickly shook it off and continued to argue with her.

"We all have things we hope will never see the light of day. You probably won't like what I have to say any more than what you're holding back."

"I wish that were true." Avery muttered.

"Come back with me! We'll take it one step at a time. And if anything makes you uncomfortable, you tell me, and we stop. And when it comes time to open up, I'll go first. Because I don't run. And I don't scare easy. Your secrets are my secrets. Your demons my demons. And you'll never have to fight them alone. I promise you that." Jackson finished. Avery still looked torn, and closed her eyes as she took a deep breath. "Please..."

He held out his hand to her, and after a long moment, Avery gently placed her hand in his.

---

Cami sat on the couch with Hope and Miracle giggling with eachother beside her as Elijah paced around and spoke to Klaus on the phone.

"How are my daughters?"

"She's in good hands. As am I. However, if you say the word, I shall return."

"No, you're needed where you are."

"So, the city is safe?"

"Well, I wouldn't exactly go flinging around terms like 'safe'. Marcel and all his vampires have inexplicably disappeared. Kol is in the wind, Rebekah is still lost, and Finn is dangerously suspicious of the secrets we keep. Speaking of which... I meant what I said. I am capable of forgiveness. We need to remain focused on our common enemies. I'll be in touch."

Klaus and Elijah hung up. Elijah looked worried as he put his phone away.

---

Avery and Jackson were walking hand-in-hand toward Mary's house in the Bayou. They looked at each other, and Jackson sighed nervously. The engaged couple walked into the front door of Mary's home as she welcomed them inside.

---

Please don't forget to leave your opinions, tips/advice and all that stuff in the comments, I'll definitely take tips and advice into consideration!
Aveijah? Klavery? Jackery? Others?
What about Hayley ships? Any favourites?
Haylijah? Klayley? Jayley? Others?
Don't forget to vote, share and comment please! Xxxxx
Love you guys!
-L

Next chapter: Avery struggles with coming clean and is surprised by something Jackson admits.